The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Good price for Alloy Refurb?

schemauk

So today I went to one of the local garages, was suggested to me by a friend to try them for the alloy refurb.

Had a quick chat to the chap who owns it and seemed to know what he was talking about (they always do..! haha).

Got quoted £340 for all 4 alloys, fully refurbed, resprayed, re-fitted, and a wheel balance. He said it's going to cost a little more as they need to be shot-blasted. Does this sound about right to you guys?

The alloys are in the condition of the attached (flaking around the centre, fair amount of curbing).

Also, 'Knight Racer' seem to get good reviews from this forum, and seem a good price for stuff painted and fitted - am I correct? :)

Cheers! :thumbs:

WP_20130526_013.jpg

There's a body shop right next door to Knight Racer too, 'AD Panelcraft' - fantastic place. :)

Edit: They've done work on both my previous MR2 and on behalf of someone that I accidentally bumped into once :imsorry:

That said, Ibrar's place did my wheels for me and they are utter perfection now, really chuffed with them :D

Edited by Tsia (see edit history)

Sounds about right as he has to shot blast the rims as the paint flaking off and a full refurb too

That's what I would charge

Ah, spot on mate, sounds like I got myself a decent body shop 5 minutes down the road then! Lets wait and see how it turns out first though, gonna make sure that price comes with a guarantee :p

There's a body shop right next door to Knight Racer too, 'AD Panelcraft' - fantastic place. :)

Edit: They've done work on both my previous MR2 and on behalf of someone that I accidentally bumped into once :imsorry:

That said, Ibrar's place did my wheels for me and they are utter perfection now, really chuffed with them :D

I think I will be heading to Knight Racer by the sounds of it, so might check it out.

Will also still definitely be calling Ibrar, at least for a quote. Good thing about this place though is that they are refitting and balancing, and it just saves me the hassle, y'know? :)

Oh, forgot to say also - I'm factoring in accessibility to that price. This garage is 5 minutes down the road (I can walk home after!). The next closest is 35 minutes away, and would need to organize a lift home/lift back when finished :(

Hah, if you're in MK and I'm about on that day (And if I have my car back, as it's in a garage atm) I can give you a lift back.

Edit, because this sounds weird: Offering due to the fact I live pretty damn close to there! :D

Edited by Tsia (see edit history)

£340 is taking the p***

They should cost about £200, there's no need to shot blast them, you get them chemi

stripped in phosphoric acid then clean up any damage then powder coat

what he said , we average about £35 per wheel depending on design, complexity and condition

what he said , we average about £35 per wheel depending on design, complexity and condition

Lol I charge more then that in house ! Lol

I'm guessing that's a small scuff and not even taken the wheel off then as I would not do any more for that price .. Mind you I would not do anything for that

I only work on Jaguars and Landrovers, maybe I'm used to there prices

Lol I charge more then that in house ! Lol

I'm guessing that's a small scuff and not even taken the wheel off then as I would not do any more for that price .. Mind you I would not do anything for that

I only work on Jaguars and Landrovers, maybe I'm used to there prices

no thats wheels off, tyres off , any repairs . repaint. fit tyres. balance . as sais that's average some cost more , some cost less depending on what's put in front of us

Hah, if you're in MK and I'm about on that day (And if I have my car back, as it's in a garage atm) I can give you a lift back.

Edit, because this sounds weird: Offering due to the fact I live pretty damn close to there! :D

I appreciate the offer! :D Knight Racer are quoting me just over £500 for a Top Secret front bumper, sprayed and fitted...

AD Panelcraft won't even give me an estimate over the phone for a front bumper refurb. How much you guys reckon I should be looking at for a full bumper refurb/respray/decent refit? Its an expensive trip for me to get to MK just to be quoted a silly price. Going to my local this evening and asking what they'd charge for it.

I appreciate the offer! :D Knight Racer are quoting me just over £500 for a Top Secret front bumper, sprayed and fitted...

AD Panelcraft won't even give me an estimate over the phone for a front bumper refurb. How much you guys reckon I should be looking at for a full bumper refurb/respray/decent refit? Its an expensive trip for me to get to MK just to be quoted a silly price. Going to my local this evening and asking what they'd charge for it.

Depends what state its in as to what it will cost hence they want to see it

Just a repaint in a straight forward colour is approx £200 depending where you go, some places will paint

a whole car for under £1k but god knows how good it'll be

Depends what state its in as to what it will cost hence they want to see it

Just a repaint in a straight forward colour is approx £200 depending where you go, some places will paint

a whole car for under £1k but god knows how good it'll be

It's... shabby, to say the least. The first picture attached shows the worst of the damage, but it also makes the rest of it look ok - it will need a number of other areas filled.

Second picture give you an indication of the fitment. Would want it fitted properly so that it's at least relatively flush, y'know?

In regards to full respray, I totally agree - I wouldn't actually want to go anywhere which quoted me less than £1800 to be honest!!

Quick Edit: Sorry if I seem to be almost asking you for a quote, but you are being rather helpful! :p :thumbs:

WP_20130526_012.jpg

wp_ss_20130814_0001.jpg

Edited by schemauk (see edit history)

Personally if it were mine i'd bin it and fit stock with maybe nice lip.

I know what you mean, I really do - but where would one go to find a decent stock front bumper?! I saw one on eBay a couple weeks back (in silver too, actually!), but not seen one since. Not one worth buying anyway...