The mkiv Supra Owners Club

anyone use a divided T4 1.06 exhaust housing on a GT3582?

TBDevelopments

just running some numbers through my head for the turbocharger i want to run on my car.

its aimed as a straight based car, nothing to insane and fast responce so going with the GT3582r, or GTX model.

i have been speaking to Forced Performance as awell about possibly there GT3586r but i was more drawn to them because of the Divided 0.82ar T4 housing that i planned to run on a ported cast manifold and quick spool valve setup. But i've just been informed they no longer make there divided T4 in 0.82ar :(

so back to the genuine Garrett gt3582r but i'm really mixed mines between the 2 housings really open to me. Do i just go with a normal single entry 0.82 like alot of people on here have gone for, which good results.

Or now i can't go with a divided 0.82 the other option still being made is the 1.06 now this i would say is to large but i wanted to go with a quick valve setup. But not sure if the 0.82 would just spool quicker anyway.........

i know the 1.06 is basically a 0.53ar until the other side of the housing opens up, but it doesn't always quite pan out like that does it lol

At some point you have to go from crunching numbers to actually testing it so was wandering to save me alot of money if someone has already done one of these setups and can report back on the results, spool etc etc

many thanks

Tim :)

Edited by Littler (see edit history)

I ran a GT3582R on mine (dyno graph in my garage HERE), it made positive boost at just over 2K rpm and once moving power was almost instantaneous. On a turbo of this size I think a quick spool valve would be pointless. Your biggest issue will be traction, the turbo comes in so early that getting the power down in the first 3 - 4 gears can be fun!

I'd like to see a build using a GTX3582R, that'd be my turbo of choice for the ultimate fast road setup.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

I've recently been looking for what turbo to go for with my HKS kit. As the HKS is a divided mani, I've been looking into the Precision 5862 with a divided .84 a/r which will be similar to the GT3582R. That's the smallest precision they do with the divided a/r. Next in line after that would be the 6262.

I've recently been looking for what turbo to go for with my HKS kit. As the HKS is a divided mani, I've been looking into the Precision 5862 with a divided .84 a/r which will be similar to the GT3582R. That's the smallest precision they do with the divided a/r. Next in line after that would be the 6262.

Mines a gt3582 on a devided manifold. Works well enough :p

Couldn't tell you if its any better or not though.

Hope that helps :)

ok cheers guys.

this information about traction and what its like to live with can't be seen with numbers so glad i asked.

The manifold i will be using is a treadstone cast unit.

The kit i will be building will either be using a GT or GTX 3582r with single scroll 0.82ar exhaust T4 now going from peoples feedback, so would be very similar to the Power house racing kit someone posted up, but I'm full setup for stainless steel/ alloy fabrication so i'll be making everything myself :)

i had planned to use a Tial MVR 44mm wastegate. Anyone has issues with flow or should i consider stepping up to a 60mm. Again number can only tell me so much on this, after real word experience.

Tim :)

Edited by James (see edit history)

I use a HKS GT 60mm on my cast setup and never had any boost creep issues, my cast manifold is an old Turbonetics that was modified by Induction Motorsport so give a larger wastegate outlet, the stock units did suffer with boost creep.

oh i know the cast manifold and treadstone versions did suffer from boost creep because of there casting but i intend to open up the wastegate port to what ever size wastgate i go for. the manifold will be extensively modified anyway.

its the size of the wastegate which was concerned about. Saying that just noticed the PHR kit is using exactly the same wastegate i plan to use.

Tim

Mines a gt3582 on a devided manifold. Works well enough :p

Couldn't tell you if its any better or not though.

Hope that helps :)

I wasn't implying there is anything wrong with the GT3582 :) I was just stating if Tim is really set on a divided a/r around .84 the PT 5862 is meant to be rated the same sort of performance. There is so many options around now, I hope I get it right when I choose!

yeah i've seen dans, its a nice setup. A similar to what i'll be doing with my treadstone manifold. i know there a good base but not under any illusiions that they don't need a little bit of work to make the most from them.

Well i was only looking at divided to use the quick spool valve, but seeing peoples results i think i'll just keep it simple and go with a single 0.82 instead. Last thing i want to do is find all the parts and then find i'm just getting compressor surge because the QSV is bringing it in to quickly.

Now divided QSV on a gt4088r or single 0.82 gt3582r is the other decision lol

i've played with the QSV on 3sgte engines and it does actually work really well, gives it that low down torque it needs for pottering around town when you have to.

but from what people are saying about how quick the gt3582r on a single 0.82 housing spools i don't think its needed.

People are saying positive boost from 2k onwards with 1 bar of boost from i'm guessing not much after 3k thats going to make a perfect street setup. Anything over 500bhp is a bonus for me really, ideally like equal torque.

Was planning on what 1.5bar on stock bottom end? seems alot of people are doing that and being very reliable

Tim

• 6 months later...
Guest Evlc36

Old thread, but I am running a GTX3582R w .82 T3 Single Scroll on my VVTi 2JZ (JZS161 Aristo)

I make 565whp through a built A340E 4 speed automatic at around 1.5bar - I do have HKS 264 VVTi cams, but engine is stock apart from that.

Positive boost is seen at around 2k RPM, and am up at full boost at 3500RPM or so - extremely versatile turbo, and makes it a pleasure as a daily driver, traction is a bit iffy in first, but due to the epic gearing of the A340E, no issues putting power down from 2nd onwards.