The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Warning lights. What do these mean?

Ross C

I have an NA auto that I already know has the gearbox on its way out and have a replacement going in on Monday. On Thursday driving to work, the overdrive light on the dash began to start flashing (whilst the overdrive gear is on but not specifically the current selected gear). A few minutes after this the engine Warning Light is coming on aswell when the car was pushed to over 4000ish RPM.

Now, I assumed that this was the gearbox finally on its way out and chose not to drive the car much as a result (other than my dad taking it out to see this happen), but took the car for a drive today to meet Tonytt and Ian W the same process occurred and the Master Warning light came on in the centre of the dash eventually. Now, stopping the car and turning the ignition off and then on again resets the process and the lights will come on systematically at their own intervals.

I am worried that this may not actually be to do with the gearbox and would like peoples opinions on this as to what this could mean?

Thanks in advance,

Ross C

If your Auto Box/TQ are finally on the way out then this will definitely be tripping the warning lights, the load on the engine whilst the broken box is in use and pushed (above 4000rpm) will also be increased.

Have you noticed a drop in performance at all, and perhaps the Autobox temps are climbing and tripping a sensor.

If your Auto Box/TQ are finally on the way out then this will definitely be tripping the warning lights, the load on the engine whilst the broken box is in use and pushed (above 4000rpm) will also be increased.

Have you noticed a drop in performance at all, and perhaps the Autobox temps are climbing and tripping a sensor.

No I haven't noticed a performance change but I've only driven the car