The mkiv Supra Owners Club

w58 Gearbox Cooler

Noz

Why do we not use them on our manuals?

I think its the UK spec supra that had a diff cooler. I could be wrong there.

But either way, for more power people use transmission coolers, though it's a weaker box has anyone tried this?

Only reason I ask if my box is fine for the moment, and I want to keep it that way. If cooling a box can increase its limits then it may be cheaper than replacing it when it fails (prevention vs cure).

Just an idea as I've never seen it done (or anyone discuss or compare a technical knowledge of why not to).

You've never seen it done before because it can't be done without a complete redesign of the box.

It's as simple as that.

On a Supra maybe, but other cars have it. TD5 Disco springs to mind.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lotus-Elise-Exige-S2-gearbox-gear-box-oil-cooler-kit-/290600562474?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43a924af2a

Edited by Shane (see edit history)

it will help, the oil will benefit from being kept within its optimum operating temps, i usually run a cooler pump ,electric thermo switch and little fan on a radiator on my gearboxes and diffs, especially if im doing track

tho the torque and power delivery of a single turbo on the w58 is harsh, so its just a matter of time really unless your very lucky

Considering mine has lasted so long, I think I've got a good one.

For that reason, I just thought I'd explore the options for low cost. R154 is £1k if your lucky, IF.

I wouldn't spend a lot on a setup, it's just something that I thought of.

I think it's worth doing, and when I change ECU's I'll look at doing it so I can creep up more power. If I try and fail, the results will speak for themselves.

What I don't understand is how all these people on Supraforums seem to be pushing 400 horse power to the rear wheels through them okay. My only thoughts are that their idea of 400rwhp is a little different to ours. For the same setups their RWHP figures seem to be on a par with our FWHP figures, either they have forgot about transmission/drivetrain losses or dyno's read a good 10-15% higher over there.