The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Twin Turbo Upgrade

Guest ash125106

Guest ash125106

Hi Guys,

I've recently brought a 1995 JDM Import Toyota Supra RZ, I wanted to know if it is possible and also how easy it is to upgrade the turbos from the ceramic, to install ones used in the Export Spec, as eventually I wanted to run higher boost pressure?

Also if was to do this would I be able to get rid of the restrictor ring?

Would this also replace the wastegate?

Thanks

Edited by ash125106 (see edit history)

A few companies do a hybrid conversion, which replaces the ceramic innards of the turbo with steel components. CR Turbos (I think its called) is one of them.

To install UK Spec turbos (which already have steel internals) iirc you need to change the manifold also, as they are a different bolt pattern (I think).

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to confirm/dispell what I've said.

Steel uk spec turbos will run slightly higher boost but will generate more heat. A good bpu set up on ceramic turbos is just as good. 1.2 bar on ceramics and 1.4bar on steel there isn't a lot of difference. If you click the bpu which should be in blue here if it links it from iPhone it will tell you everything you need to know about modifying the stock twins to maximum potential. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?94705-BPU-(Basic-Performance-Upgrade)

Both turbos produce around the same power at the same boost pressure, the export spec turbos are smaller and slower to spool in comparison to the j-spec turbos, I definitely wouldn't call it an 'upgrade'. The sequential system is quite restrictive, anything above 1.2bar with either type of the turbo and the intake temps start to ramp up and any gains in power start to diminish.

The fitting of the turbos is also different, they are not a straight swap, you'd also need to swap the manifold, turbo outlet and first decat pipe over.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)