The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Something killing my battery :(

TRD-Rob

The cars gone though two battery this year but thought that might be down to not using it enough,but something's making me think differently now as I just jump started it let it run for about five minutes but as soon as I disconnect the leads the car just dies :( just wanted to know what can kill a battery when your not using it ? And where not talking months of not using it We're talking a couple of weeks.

Thanks for any info.

No light come up no,And the volt meter reads 8.3 on 200,but that's only telling me what I already know which is that the battery is Knackered.

- - - Updated - - -

Would a car alarm really kill it that fast tho ?

You're wrong mate, sorry to be blunt.

With the engine running you should read upto 14v ish as you are not checking the battery power but the alternator.

When the engine is off, that is when you will see how much charge is in the battery

As said you don't need a battery to run the car just to start as the alternator powers everything and trickle charges the battery.

With the engine running you should read upto 14v ish as you are not checking the battery power but the alternator.

When the engine is off, that is when you will see how much charge is in the battery

As said you don't need a battery to run the car just to start as the alternator powers everything and trickle charges the battery.

I can't get a reading when the car is running as it will only run when being jumped and won't that give a False reading as it's been powered by another battery ?

I can't get a reading when the car is running as it will only run when being jumped and won't that give a False reading as it's been powered by another battery ?

When you disconnect the jump leads does it run on its own?

The engine doesn't run off a battery mate it runs of the alternator.

You can actually disconnect and remove a battery once running as it is obsolete in a way.

If the car doesn't run without the jump leads or a battery then your alternator is goosed mate

When you disconnect the jump leads does it run on its own?

The engine doesn't run off a battery mate it runs of the alternator.

You can actually disconnect and remove a battery once running as it is obsolete in a way.

If the car doesn't run without the jump leads or a battery then your alternator is goosed mate

I tried it twice,the first time I jumped it I left it running for about one minute then started to pack up and the car died after about 30sec,the second time I ran it for five minutes but it died as soon as the leads came off.

I am pretty sure it's not charging, an alternator or charging circuit wiring issue. Jump off a none running car. Rev your engine, voltage should go up to over 13.5 volts. Put headlamps and heated screen and heater blower on, on your Supra. Rev again. If voltage stays lowish and unchanging it's definitely a charging issue. Slight chance your crank damper has failed and the alternator is not turning fast enough when loaded up. Do a "Tipex test".

:yeahthat:

Sounds alternator related!