The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gaz's custom double gauge pod

Mk4Gaz

Hi guys, I want to fit a couple of aftermarket gauges in the soup, probably oil temp and boost.

I don't like 'a' pillar pods, and although I like the gauge panel that fits where the upper glove box would be, mine has an airbag, that I'd rather keep.

I came up with an idea to create a custom pod that will house two gauges, 52mm and possibly 60mm, that replaces the passenger side air vent.

Here's progress so far, it's taken me a couple of evenings moulding to this point. You can see two points, these are the gauge centre holes, to make it easy to drill in the right place later ;)

I'm going to create a mould of this, so I can recreate it in fibreglass with a gel coat finish :thumbs:

What do you think?

Edited by Mk4Gaz (see edit history)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you the same Gaz that makes all the custom bits for his MR2, too? :p

I certainly am bud, I recognise your username from imoc ;)

I have thought about the grain, but I really can't see a way of doing it. In satin black, I think it'll be less obvious, likewise I had thought about wrinkle finish paint - but it normally goes 'stipply' instead of 'leathery' if that even makes sense!

I have thought about the grain, but I really can't see a way of doing it. In satin black, I think it'll be less obvious, likewise I had thought about wrinkle finish paint - but it normally goes 'stipply' instead of 'leathery' if that even makes sense!

In which case, the club can expect to see some awesome little modifications coming out of this guy. Very skilled man - looking forward to future posts! :)

If it works, and people want them, I'm happy to go through whatever channels to keep it above board :)

I didn't think there'd be any interest for them, i just like to build custom bits at home :)

There would always be interest in nice little touches like these.

I for one would live one, would set off my interior ideas a treat.

its eaaasy you have to cover the mould in leather (with similar finish ,grain wise)carefully and when you mould off of it (released obviously it gives a grained texture)

i do alot of custom dash panels as well, well that's how i first started my business 10 years back lol. I found you can actually mould the leather effect in the gelcoat when making the mold. Cover the original plug in a deep grain leathet material, a light silicone releasing agent and take the mould. the grain effect will then come through onto the finished part. Just have to be careful when keying it for paint not to go to deep and take the grain out. But comes out well :)

Hope that helps as i only do custom dash panels for myself these days.

Made my mould the other night, and had to destroy the original when getting it back out!

Laid up the gel coat this afternoon

It's only bloody worked, dead chuffed as it's the first successful mould I've ever made - simple for some people, but an achievement for me :)

Needs a trim up, but tomorrow I'm going to look into covering them in vinyl, and also making a couple of mounting brackets.

It's looking promising!

if it helps mate where you've made the mold in an area you know will get cut out of the finished piece. Put an Airline fitting. Then when making the finished product put a bit of tape and proceed as normal.

This means when its all dry you can push high pressure air down the inside of the mold and the finished article will pop straight out. Means you can do alot of them then without damaging your mold everytime you try and pull the finished item out of there :)

Tim