The mkiv Supra Owners Club

how to delimite the j-spec cruise control ecu

jza800

i have now read alot og threds about unlock the limit the j-spec cruise control have from stock..

many are saying to give the cruise control ecu mph/ 8ths signal so you can drive over the 110 km/h on the cruise control..

i have tried to take a splice wire from the 5 pin on the speedometer c13 connector to the pin 20 (pink wire) on the cruise control ecu, but that dosent Work. the cruise control still stops at 110 km/t..

my car have at km/t speedometer and a km odometer.. so i dont think it reads in mph...

can somone help me further???

As you might have seen elsewhere, I'm working on the same issue.

You can add an sld to the pink wire from the odo, but that will affect the active spoiler so it won't go down until 145 kph and retract again when dipping under 120. Annoying..

One solution might be to replace the J-spec cruise ECU with a uk or eu. But I'm not certain that the uk ecu will work as a cruise de-limiter when you are running kph.. Also, getting to and replacing the ecu is yet another problem. You need to take the dash apart and have hands the size of a two year old to get in there.

To my knowledge, the EU version at least, is limited to 250 kph (might be more on the speedo). I don't think the cruise is either, or might be at 180 kph, but that is fine by me. However it is the way the signal goes to the box, that might pose the problem. A J-spec cruise ECU can be tricked by sending it the 5/8 signal of MPH relation to KPH, but doing that, and keeping the rest of the car KPH is a bit of a challenge. TRL Performance once did a box that could do this, but I've got nooo clue if one of those are possible to find.

I can see that you haved luck delimit the cruise ecu. But haved problem with the active spoiler. As you can read i tried that too but i did take the signal from the speedo and that dident work. Should i take the signal from the odo insted? To get it to work? If yes what pin or wire colour? Splice or cut on odo wire? I dont have the spoiler so no worry there.

I did not place the SLD myself, when I had it behind the speedo. I had someone do that so I don't remember. I only removed it and respliced things again. However, I do remember him being baffled about why he has supposed to cut a wire that was not supposed to be connected to anything else.

That corresponds with what you can read here:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/peter.betts/supra/TechTips/speedo.htm

Right now I have a SLD by the engine ECU in the passengers footwell. That is placed on the pink wire going from the main ECU. Plug E10, pin 2:

Clipboard01.jpg

Should you go for the placement behind the speedo, bear in mind that you will affect all systems, depending on how you go about it. Power steering and so on. The article linked to above describes the relationship between most of them quite good. However, it does not help me, as I don't know where to get a converter box that will send mph 5/8 signal to my cruise ECU.. :(