The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Battery died, why? *solved*

ryansupra

Hi guys,

Today while driving, some lights came on the dash randomly. After driving at night for a bit, all lights came on then died down and realized the battery is dead, even power steering got stiffer. The battery is brand new, just 2 months old.

What do I look for? Terminals on the battery are ok and alternator belt seems fine.

Car has Mine's ECU, upgraded cd radio and just better door speakers, no big audio system.

Any thoughts?

Edited by ryansupra (see edit history)

Car alarm could be draining it? Or it could be the alternator isn't charging the battery.

Are you driving the car after a long period of it sitting around? Or was it fairly recent the last time you drove it?

Is it a sealed battery? Or one which needs water topping up? Check that if it is the ones where you top up water.

An finally (not sure if it applies to Canada) if it is under 1 year old then you have manufacture warranty to replace it if the cells are faulty.

Hope this is of some help. :)

I can't sleep over this... Lol

The battery is new and died while the car was driving so there is a charging issue. I will do the tip-ex test tomorrow and see if the crank pulley is bad. Doing some research it seems that the crank pulley goes bad very often on Supras..

I can't sleep over this... Lol

The battery is new and died while the car was driving so there is a charging issue. I will do the tip-ex test tomorrow and see if the crank pulley is bad. Doing some research it seems that the crank pulley goes bad very often on Supras..

If you suspect the alternator is not working (and it sounds like it isn't) then start by checking the alternator itself. THere's a how-to on here somewhere. I'll post up a link when I find it.

The regulator is part of the alternator,right?

Yes. I asked because when I checked replacement alternators for the Supra were expensive, but you might have been able to pick up a regualtor relatively cheaply if that's all that has gone.

It might respond to removing the brushes and either cleaning the slip rings and brush holder, or ideally renewing the brushes. If it needs a diode pack or regulator these are available from Toyota as spares. A half decent auto electrician can repair it. Also check the alternator grounding wire is intact, has clean connections and not missing.