The mkiv Supra Owners Club

315/35/17 tyres on 10" rims

pedrosixfour

Just received word that Kumho have stopped making their road legal 17" track tyres in a 275/40. I'm just lucky I guess.

My options are 255/40 or 315/35.

I'm actually contemplating putting the 255/40/17 tyres up front (9" wide rim) and putting a pair of 315/35/17 on the rear (10" wide rim)

I know the 315's are supposed to be fitted to minimum 10.5" wide rim but I've seen a few shots of this size tyre on a 10" rim and they don't look too bad, quite appealing to someone like me in fact!

I know its not a Supra, but it is a Soarer, with 315/35 tyres on a set of TT Supra rims, just to give you an idea.

TT rear rims are 9.5" aren't they?

The thing is, I can convince myself pretty quickly that this size tyre might prove beneficial to my car's traction issues at the rear, (a bit more flex, a lot more rubber etc.) but can anyone lend an opinion based on any kind of experience running tyres like these on 10" rims?

Thanks in advance,

Damien.

Edited by pedrosixfour (see edit history)

I found I had noticeably worse traction running wider tyres at the rear. The switch from 265 to 275 was surprisingly bad for me.

That's interesting mate, to notice such a change over such a small increase I mean.

Some people will swear by a particular width for grip though while others will claim nothing but bad things about the same width. It's a bit of a nightmare trying to separate fact from perception when it comes to issues like this.

Look into the R888s. I'm using a 315/30/18 (11.5J) and the traction has been excellent. They do a 315 for 17" as well, but may offer in-between sizes such as 295/35?

No mate, again the options are 255 or 315 width in a 17" tyres. They ceased production of their 275 tyre as well.:rolleyes:

Plus the Toyo are just too bloody expensive.

No mate, again the options are 255 or 315 width in a 17" tyres. They ceased production of their 275 tyre as well.:rolleyes:

Plus the Toyo are just too bloody expensive.

Just had a look and right enough, no stock of the 275/40 anywhere. Poor show!

I didn't find the prices for the R888s to be too bad when pricing them up, given the sizes!

I found I had noticeably worse traction running wider tyres at the rear. The switch from 265 to 275 was surprisingly bad for me.

That's interesting mate, to notice such a change over such a small increase I mean.

Some people will swear by a particular width for grip though while others will claim nothing but bad things about the same width. It's a bit of a nightmare trying to separate fact from perception when it comes to issues like this.

By going to a 35 profile from a 40 you may actaully lose grip as your limiting the movement of the side wall, I had a massive increase in grip by going to a 295/35 from a 285/35 and the difference was even though they are the same profile, due to the design of the tyre I actually gained a fair bit of side wall, the width wasn't to much more 2bh.

By going to a 35 profile from a 40 you may actaully lose grip as your limiting the movement of the side wall, I had a massive increase in grip by going to a 295/35 from a 285/35 and the difference was even though they are the same profile, due to the design of the tyre I actually gained a fair bit of side wall, the width wasn't to much more 2bh.

Remember that a 35/40 profile is actually a percentage. This is the reason he has quoted 35 as being the profile he would need at 315.

35% of 315 = 110mm total sidewall (55mm per side)

40% of 275 = 110mm total sidewall (55mm per side)

Ie, the difference in profile is exactly in keeping with the same sidewall/rolling radius.

Common misconception :)

Remember that a 35/40 profile is actually a percentage. This is the reason he has quoted 35 as being the profile he would need at 315.

Ie, the difference in profile is exactly in keeping with the same sidewall/rolling radius.

Exactly right Scott.

And as I'm coming from a 255/40 tyre on the rear I'd actually be gaining 8mm or so in sidewall height.

Same here, I once tried 275 on rear leaving the front alone, it was very loose on the rear.

Exactly right Scott.

And as I'm coming from a 255/40 tyre on the rear I'd actually be gaining 8mm or so in sidewall height.

Cheers for clearing it up :thumbs:

Iirc correctly I think Dan put 315/35 tyres on 10" Rota's, unless he got them banded:

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?194439-Dan-s-Supra-Project&p=3114858&viewfull=1#post3114858

Just for reference :)

EDIT - infact it may of been on a 9.5" rim as 17" Rota GTR's only go up to 9.5" in width, unless like I say they were banded.

Edited by Littler (see edit history)

Iirc correctly I think Dan put 315/35 tyres on 10" Rota's, unless he got them banded:

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?194439-Dan-s-Supra-Project&p=3114858&viewfull=1#post3114858

Just for reference :)

EDIT - infact it may of been on a 9.5" rim as 17" Rota GTR's only go up to 9.5" in width, unless like I say they were banded.

I don't see much wrong with Dan's set-up if that's the case, and neither did anyone else it appears.

I must attract negativity.

I still don't see much wrong with the tyre/wheel combo picture I originally posted either, and they are 9.5" rims too.

I'm suprised you can get 315/35 on a 10" wheel. I've got 295/35 on my volk GTC 10" rears and personally thought you couldn't go any bigger. It's a thought now for next time :)

It might depend in the actual tyre brand mate, in the same way that some rubbing issues might be solved by change to a tyre of identical proportions but from a different manufacturer.

I've been reading that the same applies to the rim fitment, some tyres are know to be a narrow fitment when compared to other tyre brands.

The Kumho 315/30 tyres really only have a tread width of 304mm.

Edited by pedrosixfour (see edit history)

Mine are on 11.5" rears chaps.

The change in straight line traction from 275-35-18 to 315-35-17 was staggering. I put it all down to the increased sidewall...with hot tyres it won't spin up on a hot, dry, smooth road in 3rd gear any more :D