The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Prospective buyer from Germany

Jamesc183

Ive had someone offer me money for my N/A from Germany. They said before they come and collect the car they would need a copy of the V5 for insurance purposes im guessing.. Does this sound dodgy or is it the norm to give someone a copy of your V5 before moneys exchanged hands??

Thanks JC

I would not think so but I may be wrong

Ive never really sold to anyone oversea's but am in the insurance game so I know he would need the Chassis number and Number plate for insurance..

I just dont want to send him my V5 before i receive the money.

Who told you that?

A close friend.. Tbf it does sound odd that he wants a copy of the logbook with all my details and the car details on there. Ive never come across anyone having a copy of the V5 of the car there gonna buy before buying it?

I really dont even wanna risk it so would rather just sell it to a UK buyer.

- - - Updated - - -

I never had to provide a V5 when a chap from the Netherlands came to buy my skyline.

He was a bit of a wide boy paying half in euros trying to give me less until I put Jurgen on the phone lol.

Ahaha Thanks for your input mate. I think im just gonna wait till someone can actually give me the cash in exchange for the V5...

Not a scam. I've just bought my supe from UK and drove it to germany in March '13.

They need a the V5 to get an international insurance. BUT usually a good copy of it, on which you can read everything, is also fine. The insurance company (they do it over the ADAC) wants to see the original V5. But I told them, the owner won't hand it over until the car is sold, so the copy was fine for them.

Just tell the buyer, you'll E-Mail him a copy of the V5.

Not a scam. I've just bought my supe from UK and drove it to germany in March '13.

They need a the V5 to get an international insurance. BUT usually a good copy of it, on which you can read everything, is also fine. The insurance company (they do it over the ADAC) wants to see the original V5. But I told them, the owner won't hand it over until the car is sold, so the copy was fine for them.

Just tell the buyer, you'll E-Mail him a copy of the V5.

And is this the usual process for anyone from Germany importing a car? It just seems unlogical to send someone a copy of the only legal document thats yours to the prospective buyer before he evens exchanges me the cash?

They only need a copy to get the insurance done. Usually you don't buy an insurance for a car, that's not yours.

But in this case the insurance is cheaper than fliing to UK twice.

The insurance company wants the original, b/c they suggest, you would fly to the UK buy the car incl. the V5, fly back to germany, get the insurance done and then get the car from the UK to Germany.

But since it's cheaper for the buyer to fly there once, they accept the copy.

I did it the same way. The seller (username fripon on the forum) sent me a copy of the V5, I got the insurance, took a flight to UK and drove the car back.