The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Clonking sound when breaking from front wheel?

Thomas.B

Hi!

I've gotten a clonking sound when breaking.

It started (I think) when I changed the rims to the usual 18's after refurbing/mending them.

Thought it was the guys mending them that made one a bit wider or something but I have changed to the original 17's now and the sound still comes. I can brake harder before it comies now.

Any ideas? Its the right front wheel thats making the sound. The wheel runs free and smooth, cant feel anything until I brake. Brakes are good with new pads. And everything worked fine prior to this.

Thanks.

The wheels would have to be loose for it to be because of no spigot rings, i ran my car without

rear spigot rings for a while and didn't get any clonking or any other issues with 11.5" wide 19's

I 'd get it on a ramp and do a thorough check as anyone on here will just be guessing as it could

be a number of things from simple to serious

I havent touched the brakes, they where new when I got the car. The only thing that has happend is I had the car on a jack on the linkarm (dunno the English word) and the jack jumped an inch. Other then that nothing.

It is much more apparent with the 18" rims if that can help anyone?

Everything seems to work so if anyone has any ideas I would be thankful!

cheers

Its the original wheelnuts and they where on prior to this also. Done up properly with the spacers on correctly.

I cant see anything that looks out of the normal and the weel runs nicely other then when braking with the car rolling (doesnt make a sound when spinning the wheel for hand and applying brake).

Hi!

I've gotten a clonking sound when breaking.

It started (I think) when I changed the rims to the usual 18's after refurbing/mending them.

Thought it was the guys mending them that made one a bit wider or something but I have changed to the original 17's now and the sound still comes. I can brake harder before it comies now.

Any ideas? Its the right front wheel thats making the sound. The wheel runs free and smooth, cant feel anything until I brake. Brakes are good with new pads. And everything worked fine prior to this.

Thanks.

I havent touched the brakes, they where new when I got the car. The only thing that has happend is I had the car on a jack on the linkarm (dunno the English word) and the jack jumped an inch. Other then that nothing.

It is much more apparent with the 18" rims if that can help anyone?

Everything seems to work so if anyone has any ideas I would be thankful!

cheers

Thomas, the wheel nuts could be wrong taper. I had to change my wheel nuts when I put another set of after market alloys on, but DIFFERENT nuts to the already aftermarket nuts :blink::blink:

Dave: Thanks I'll check that! I think that one "holder" to a bush can have gotten slightly open when I had the jack there, hopefully its something simple.

However after some hard breakings yesterday I couldn't hear any clonking (with the original 17" on).... and its way more with the 18's

What wheel nuts are you using, the stock nuts have a square shoulder and most custom alloys

have a 60 degree cone so i assume you have two sets of wheel nuts ?

I've attached 2 pics showing the difference.

My apologies if you know this already but just trying to cover the basics as

quite a few don't.

conical.jpg

201081193996.jpg

Hi

I have aftermarket ones as in the first picture.

But again these where on thr car and the 18" rims when i bought the car.

The sound is not there when driving with stock rims anymore... it wasnt there much in the start either so it's a strange problem.

It'll be there if i change as last time...

Ill try to get under the car and check the wishbone as the jack jumped abit on the rear bush, might have damaged the bolt or something....

Any and all other ideas (or confirmations) are appreciated.

Thanks

You shouldn't be using the cone type nuts on stock rims as they're only contacting on

the corner of the holes in the wheel which really isn't a good idea.

I've done a sketch showing this hopefully, the o/e nut in blue and how it locates inside the

holes in the wheel and in red how it will sit on the corner of the hole in a stock rim and how

it should be in a custom rim.

Wheelnuts.jpg

I am sure it aint the bolts as they where used for the 18" also and with no sound when I got the car. Also the 18's make much more noise!

I will check the calipers and the wishbone, am going over everything to check that nothing is loose. Hope its the calipers as it would make sense as I do belive the caliper is closer to the rim.

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

Its UK spec brakes with new pads.

I have the car on the jack now and trying to go by everything so all is tightened... everything seems fine! Can't find any fault really!

Only thing I have thought about is that the ABS didnt seem to be working when driving, but again this was there when I bought the car also....

I just cant find the f-ing problem and its killing me! Want the car working 100% now as Im soon putting it in the garage to continue the build over the winter... would be nice to drive it some lol

Any ideas as to why the sound is much more prominent (and also comes much earlier when braking) on the 18" rather the standard rims?

On the 17" I can brake really hard before hearing anything, on the 18's I can hardly brake at all before the sound comes.

Edited by Thomas.B (see edit history)

Yay.... so then I either need 1 UK spek disc or just upgrade the whole lot as I wanted to from the beginning :)

Do I need to remove the caliper to loosen the disc and check it?

Yes, but it's usually hard to see warpage, only way is with a run out dial indicator or replacing the disc.

There are garages that will skim discs on the car without removing for a fraction of the price of new ones.

Discs are not THAT expensive but skimmig might be an option. to take them off you will need to remove caliper and caliper holder - 2 large bolts at the back of hub and all will pull out. Then just knock disc out, might need a bit of encouraging with rubber hammer :-)