The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Alloy rad and twin fan setup

Guest suprageek

Guest suprageek

Need a new rad for my auto tt bpu, so was thinking of doing the twin fan setup while i was replacing the rad, any advice on this, is it worth doing or any problems with it, also do i need an oil cooler as my car is an auto? Whats the best way to wire in the fans to run?

Many thanks:d

Guest suprageek

cheers for that guys, read that link Nic think ill put a new rad in and keep the stock fan, there is a small hairline crack at the top of my rad, it is 20 years old!

Guest Budz86

I have an alloy rad and twin fans and they work just as good as the stock ones, if not better. With the added benefit that they look much cleaner and tidier! I have mine running off the Syvecs too so only comes on when I need it to.

Guest suprageek
yes same as mine , try fast rads in Newport south wales £88 that's all it was , they do post out of the uk as well

will do mate thanks:D

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty sure you can, but best to ask an expert! SRD supplied and fitted mine :)

im sure an expert will be along any min to keep me right lol

The stock rad and fan with shroud is the best there is! If you can get your hands on an OEM rad and fan I would stay stock. An uprated oil cooler would be a bonus aswell :)

Failing that the Whifbitz and SRD rads are great :thumbs:

That's a pretty strong statement. If that's true, how come big power guys drop the OEM rad and shroud?

Have you ever seen proof of your statement.

The reason I ask if I always considered the alloy rad setup. And never found any data on either to compare which one was better, therefore couldn't justify the spend.

That's a pretty strong statement. If that's true, how come big power guys drop the OEM rad and shroud?

The reason I ask if I always considered the alloy rad setup. And never found any data on either to compare which one was better, therefore couldn't justify the spend.

IIRC Chris (Wilson not Baily lol) did some testing on the OEM rad and it flowed better than all the alloy rads upto a certain BHP, given I can't remember what the limit was (if one was found). Have a look at Inferno's mental build, sequential big twins and is still on the OEM rad and fan setup, suggests they are good up to a pretty high amount of power :)

IIRC Chris (Wilson not Baily lol) did some testing on the OEM rad and it flowed better than all the alloy rads upto a certain BHP, given I can't remember what the limit was (if one was found). Have a look at Inferno's mental build, sequential big twins and is still on the OEM rad and fan setup, suggests they are good up to a pretty high amount of power :)

Ok mate I'll have a look :) I wonder what an OEM rad with twin fan setup would be like.

Pretty much what Littler said - Chris Wilson knows his stuff theres not doubt about it. Im not saying an alloy rad setup is a bad choice because my dad has the Whifbitz rad himself and it hasn't gone wrong once and looks the part also.

By dropping the OEM fan, you take weight off the ancillaries, which is never a bad thing ;)

The viscous clutch minimises the effect the fan has on the engine. A twin electric fan will draw more current from the alternator when in use. Anyone know how much a stock fan and shroud compares in weight to an aftermarket electric twin fan plus shroud?

Both are proven to work as they are intended on stock or highly modified Supras. I personally stuck with the viscous fan as I didn't see a need or benefit in swapping it, I never had any issues even in temps edging 40C stuck in heavy HK traffic.

I did have to upgrade the radiator though, when the plastic end tank on the stock rad cracked I replaced it with a Fluidyne rad. When the car was being mapped after the single install the coolant temps were getting dangerously high at around 110C. The Fluidyne rad was junked and replaced with a much wider twin core Power Enterprise radiator, this reduced the coolant temps to around 90C.