The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Syvecs S6 vs S8

Noz

I'm on the hunt for a new ecu. So for this reason I'm looking into whats on the market, its functions and what's important when selecting an ECU.

I've had a look, and the syvecs processor speed seems to be one of its flagship features. Being able to control and react quickly.

Apart from the number of inputs, outputs or listed features have any opinions on the differences through actual use. My main interest with a new ECU is datalogging and fine adjustments with heat removal and fine tuning.

I'm not looking for major power, a new ECU will allow me to tweak things and see an improvement. My engine is my R&D project and I need to take the electronics to the next level.

Please only educated responses. "Syvecs is the best" gets a bit boring. :love:

I'd imagine your best bet would be to give Ryan or someone from Syvecs a call and discuss your requirements

Until I know what capabilities of different ECU's are I won't know which one I'd prefer :)

Plus there isn't a lot of discussion about control of the ECU's from a users point of view on the forum.

As far as I know, the S6 will control everything for the Supra .. from boost, TRC up to the surveillance of the different temps and pressures (if you fit all the necessary sensors). I will fit a Toucan next months to have everything displayed on one monitor and to allow me to remove all those gauges.

I'm on the hunt for a new ecu. So for this reason I'm looking into whats on the market, its functions and what's important when selecting an ECU.

I've had a look, and the syvecs processor speed seems to be one of its flagship features. Being able to control and react quickly.

Apart from the number of inputs, outputs or listed features have any opinions on the differences through actual use. My main interest with a new ECU is datalogging and fine adjustments with heat removal and fine tuning.

I'm not looking for major power, a new ECU will allow me to tweak things and see an improvement. My engine is my R&D project and I need to take the electronics to the next level.

Please only educated responses. "Syvecs is the best" gets a bit boring. :love:

The S6 is more of an entry level ECU and the S8 is more feature-packed.

S6 has a single wideband input, S8 has 2. Same for thermocouple inputs.

S6 has no igniter outputs built in, S8 has 8.

S6 has a single CAN interface, S8 has 2.

S8 has more inputs, so can accept more sensors and still use DBW, etc.

And from memory, the S8 gets the new strategies first, which are then trickled down to the S6.

The S6 is more of an entry level ECU and the S8 is more feature-packed.

S6 has a single wideband input, S8 has 2. Same for thermocouple inputs.

So two AFR and two EGT? This would be I assume to get better accuracy. This wouldn't be much use on a single scroll manifold on a six cylinder I assume?

S6 has no igniter outputs built in, S8 has 8.

How does this make a better ECU, sorry for being dumb

S6 has a single CAN interface, S8 has 2.

This would be for dash setups etc?

S8 has more inputs, so can accept more sensors and still use DBW, etc.

The S8's £2.5k price tag is more than your car's worth.

A second hand AEM series 1 would manage your N/A-T for 2k less.

I don't want to just manage me NA-t though mate. I want to learn about how to get the full potential out of an engine. Each sensor input must have an optimised value for the engine, therefore I'd like to use my engine as a tool to learn. I feel I can learn more with a premium newer technology ECU, whatever the make.

Edited by Noz (see edit history)

Looking at the price of syvecs, vs other ECU's, it seems the main cost difference is the sensors.

Wouldn't other ECU's perform better if they also used better sensors? Obviously the answer is yes.

I think maybe comparing ECU's would give me a better idea of which functions are missing on other models, and which I don't think I'd use.

Looking at the price of syvecs, vs other ECU's, it seems the main cost difference is the sensors.

Sensors are not rocket science, as long as you have the calibration info you can configure them for use on most aftermarket ECUs, the difference in price is mainly down to accuracy, response time and packaging, ie fitment and weight :)

Wouldn't other ECU's perform better if they also used better sensors? Obviously the answer is yes.

I disagree, all the sensor is doing is providing information, its the ECUs code/logic/strategies that determine how best to use that information ;)