The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wheel alignment settings for track use.

pedrosixfour

I've a track day this Friday and between one thing and another (the last two weeks have been less than smooth) I haven't had a chance to do anything worthwhile with the car.

I'm going to make some time either today or tomorrow to fit the new extra caster and camber bushes to the front lower control arms and set the rear camber to the maximum the stock adjusters will allow.

Presently I've no way of knowing what degree of camber the front will have after the custom bushes are fitted.

Can anyone tell me what degree the rear wheels will be at when adjusted to their most aggressive and if there is an actual recommended front camber setting to compliment the rear camber when set to its maximum?

This setting will be for track use only so silly things like excessive tyre wear can be completely ignored.

Well, within reason.:innocent:

I appreciate there are so many other variables to consider when setting the geometry but even an educated guess will be far better than me just setting everything at the front to the maximum and hoping for the best.

I'll be using practically slick R888 tyres, in modest widths and profiles front & rear, if that has any bearing on a suitable setting.

One or two other possible considerations are the Chris Wilson fast road Bilsteins and the Titan ARB's I run on the car.

I've also bought an infa-red temperature gauge to monitor the heat across the width of the tyres through-out the day so I can begin to deal with tyre pressures a bit better than just kicking them to see if there is enough wind in there.

Also, I'm taking the car to my local tyre fitting depot, just to get the tracking reset after the other geometry changes, I've to get new tyres fitted to my Navara so I thought I'd take advantage of their tracking facilities for both the jeep and the car while I'm there.

I was going to go for the "toe-out to turn-in" setting on the front axle to see if I can get it hugging the inside of the corners quicker.

Can anyone recommend what the actual toe-out should be, are we talking the barest hint or something a bit steeper?

One more thing:d

What would be the appropriate toe setting for the rear, considering all of the above?

I'm struggling for rear-end grip as it is so whatever can be done to keep the rear in line, especially from mid-corner to exit, would certainly see my times improve.

Thank you to any and all that can shed even a sliver of light on all these questions.

-Damien-

Edited by pedrosixfour (see edit history)

Send me a direct e-mail and I can advise. You DO NOT want much rear camber, the camber gain curve is aggressive, especially if it's lowered. I need to know what tyres are on it, not some junk I hope? ;) You can't engineer your way out of crap tyres :) Mid corner to exit on fast or slow speed corners? High end track tyres and a good LSD will work wonders on almost all RWD cars used on track.