The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Am I going to die?

1JZGTE

In all seriousness, probably unlikely but I was wondering what the consensus was. :D

I did a disc and pad change yesterday. When putting new pads in, the way I should have done it, is to clip plate 1 onto the pad from behind as shown, and then on top of that, I should have then clipped on plate 2, as circled.

Now, I simply clipped plate 2 onto the back of each pad and then whacked the lot into the caliper and after taking the car for a test run, all seemed fine. I forgot to stick in plate 1.

I guess my questions are:

1. Is it crucial to put this piece which I have accidently left out back in?

2. What purpose does it serve?

:)

I think it's an anti-squeal shim. Omitting it shouldn't contribute towards your untimely death anywhere near as much as using WD40 near your brakes. What did you use WD40 for? IIRC it's not good for rubber seals, the sort that hold the brake fluid inside the calipers instead of giving your brake disc a DOT4 shower, and you a brown trouser moment. ;)

(I jest a bit, it's OK to use it for some brake-related things like freeing off seized bolts, but don't get it anywhere near rubber seals).

Oh feck! :(

When I took the old pads out, I got a wire brush and gave the calipers and also teh caliper pistons (I left them for about 30 mins to pop out) and the area around them a good cleaning (loads of muck, rust, you name it!), being careful not to snag the rubber piston boots.

I then sprayed the pistons with WD40 and wiped them down with rag to make them clean. :(

It shouldn't affect the rubber too much, should it? WD40 dries quickly, no?

:(

You should use brake cleaner, you can buy it from Halfords in handy spray tins same size as

your WD40 tin

It evaporates unlike WD40 and i wouldn't use a wire brush anywhere near the piston seals, a

new toothbrush does the job and wont damage the seals

I'd clean them again if it were me

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

I just been on the WD40 website and they say:

"WD-40 can be used on just about everything. It is safe for metal, rubber, wood and plastic. WD-40 can be applied to painted metal surfaces without harming the paint. Polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic are among the few surfaces on which to avoid using a petroleum-based product like WD-40."

Not that you should always trust a manufacturer, but...

Also I saw this interesting post on another forum, where a guy soaked an O ring for a month in WD40...

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/534631-does-wd40-hurt-o-rings-a-test/

And this...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350310

For next time, I know, but hopefully as a one off, I haven't done any damage. :(

Edited by 1JZGTE (see edit history)

During my caliper refurb, I'll have used the following products:

- Brake cleaner (aerosol)

- Red rubber grease (supplied in Toyota's refurb kit but cheap enough on ebay) for the piston seals

- High temperature CV moly grease for the slider pins

- Copper grease on the anti-squeal shims.

You wouldn't need all of these unless you're stripping the brakes down and doing a full refurb.

Re WD40, it depends what you read and who you listen to: http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180979

It's an ongoing debate as to whether it harms rubber seals or not. Not all rubbers are alike, so testing different types tends to give different results which is probably the cause of the confusion.

Wow, just seen that, that boot doesn't look good at all :( I will take it apart later this week and wash them with some soap and water to rid of any WD traces :(

Bollock! :(

During my caliper refurb, I'll have used the following products:

- Brake cleaner (aerosol)

- Red rubber grease (supplied in Toyota's refurb kit but cheap enough on ebay) for the piston seals

- High temperature CV moly grease for the slider pins

- Copper grease on the anti-squeal shims.

You wouldn't need all of these unless you're stripping the brakes down and doing a full refurb.

I used:

Car Plan Brake Cleaner

Fuchs Red Rubber Grease on the rubber seals.

Granville Molybdenum Grease on moving metal parts

I don't use shims and I don't grease the back of the pads, as it could potentially get onto the pad friction material.

Wow, just seen that, that boot doesn't look good at all :( I will take it apart later this week and wash them with some soap and water to rid of any WD traces :(

Bollock! :(

USE Brake cleaner it will remove the WD40 much quicker and better than soap

and water !

You'll probably do more harm messing about with them, leave them with the WD40 on them, but don't use it again. Caliper hydraulics should only have either red rubber brake grease or clean brake fluid on them for lubricating, and brake cleaner (a PC version of carbon tetrachloride) for cleaning. Nothing else.

Edited by Chris Wilson
I have put my glasses on.... (see edit history)

You're just like a son to me Nic :)

Does that mean I get to drive Dad's motors? :)

Did your pads arrive?

No sign of the pads yet, have they been sent? No big rush as my new wheels/tyres won't arrive until the end of the week.