The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wind deflector - 2013 version :)

JMB

Hi all,

I did all the research even on the forum.

Sounds that this part is rare and some had chance to find it on some auctions.

Yesterday I stupidly broke my deflector.... :(

So does anyone make them ?

If someone can (maybe Paul ?) why not a Group by as this item is rare and having another pair stored in your garage may be a good idea :)

Thanks for the help !

It would take a BIG investment (£K's) in tooling to make transparent wind deflectors, you would never get a fraction of the cost back in sales, if there were any money to be made, an aftermarket company would have made them years ago.

Non-transparent fibreglass wind deflectors would be a lot cheaper and easier to make.

The cheapest way to make them in transparent plastic would be to vacuum or thermo form them from clear acrylic. A cast could be made from a genuine set which could then be used to produce the former. Due to the shape and size you'd need a large machine and a large sheet to make one pair and because of the small quantities involved, they'd need trimming/smoothing to shape by hand. It may be possible to form a few sets together from one sheet, which would help reduce wastage and costs.

A member on here produced clear headlight lenses a few years ago using the same process, perhaps we have someone on here in the business that could estimate the costs involved or someone could approach a local company.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

I am angry !

Broked it leaning over it ... :'(

They shatter very easily, I had a couple break in transit when I use to sell the genuine Toyota ones.

You could perhaps glue the pieces together and then wrap both sides in coloured or carbon fibre effect vinyl sheet, eg. 3M Di-Noc.

http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/Departments/metallic-grey-3m-dinoc-carbon-fibre-vinyl.aspx

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Hi

I got a brand new set of OEM side deflector from ebay last year. They cost a lot of money, but it was the man in the garage that broke mine so they had to cough up the cost. They are still selling them if you're interested. Here's the link.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUPRA-JZA80-DOOR-SIDE-VISOR-VISORS-JDM-TOYOTA-JAPAN-1993-1994-1995-1996-1997-/360680290490?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53fa3878ba

Guest balloo
I was going to buy a set of these for my aero then I had a brain wave! lol stupid i know

would they not fit an aero? removable roof, yes, but when the roof is on, surely they can be clipped on.......or would they look too odd?

Guest balloo
I am not sure, but taking it off and on wont be good for it, eventually you will lose or damage it in someway....

so fitment wise they are same for aerotop/hard top? just curious because of supra_ufo's brain wave :p