The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Police Stop!! Help!!

npotts

I have a court case next Monday which I have pleaded guilty for (by post), for an incident I was involved with back in June.

I was caught running three sets of red lights going through Chester City Centre (albeit only just turned red lights one after the other)....

Does anyone know what I will be looking at in terms of points/fines??? Anyone had anything like this happen to them??

I have been told to expect anything upto 9 points and a hefty fine!!! Please say this isnt true!!!

Thanks in advance for any info

Nick

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically I was following a large wagon going extremly slow - As I approached each set of lights round this roundabout they changed to amber (this is where I should of stopped). But being in a rush I decided to go through them, unfortunately at a very slow pace behind this truck. They were all after each other, so as I just missed the first, I just missed the second and third.....

No excuses really, but some sort of reason. I never as a rule make a habit of jumping red lights!!! Never have before and never will again!!!

I am certainly not a dangerous driver - never been stopped or cautioned before either in the car or on the bike!!

Nick

Originally posted by Soonto"HAS"soop

Should expect upto 3 points per offence and then a fine x3.

It was 6 points per offence when I got done for the same thing.

I'm be pretty sure that Nick will be getting banned

Originally posted by npotts

I have been told to expect anything upto 9 points and a hefty fine!!! Please say this isnt true!!!

It isn't true. Expect up to 18 points and a largish fine

They won't ban you , without you being there.

It will be adjourned for a later date........

Either get in touch with the court and tell them you will attend.

This way you might be banned for Christmas , so can get pissed with abandon!!

Or you might quite like to keep driving for a little while longer, whilst making arrangements for an imminent ban?

Or you may get lucky (it does happen) and get off with points/fine or a v short ban

Good luck with it ............

Mate - dont worry, its exactly as mat says - they will adjourn the hearing before banning you - if they do at all ! It all depends on how you present yourself in court. I presume your mitigating circumstances were . .well . . .good-ish ?

Also your fine is based on the income you declare and you can pay it off weekely, like Im doing at the moment. I know its scary, but seriously, theres nothing to panic about. I've hard of so many cases in my line of work, and very few get banned unless you're doing something totally outrageous !

in my experience, fast cars at magistrates dont go to well, ur fooked unless u drive a shit car or u are already a criminal there is no justice. Not going to go in too much detail in fact am not even going to bother to say anything, am sorry but if u get away with u are a lucky man, all the best even though am being negative, a hope u get a result keep us posted

Originally posted by Wez

I didn`t think you could be done for the same charge on the same road in a 24hr period or is that just for speeding?

Neither. It's an urban myth.

Technically, if you are caught exceeding the speed limit through two (or more I guess) speed cameras on the same road, and in the same speed limit zone, you would have a defence that it was only one speeding offence but other than that they are regarded as seperate offences.

As Charlie said, get a good brief. It'll save you a lot i the long run.

Cheers for all the replies guys!! And thanks for that link Far.....

The court case is on Monday the 29th, and I have decided to go into court rather than plead gulty by post so that I can try and sway the courts with what actually happened on the day, rather than what the police officer said that happened on his statement - to say he exaggerated is an understatement!!

I will post up what happened next week, but thanks for all your concerns. I was driving a battered old MR2 at the time, and not my Supra, so lets hope they dont have any bias towards me being in a fast (ish) car.....

Regards

Nick

In my experience (:( ) you are much better of going to court, Dress smarttly, sounds obvious but you never know, and plead like the good little boy you are.

If they ban it will only for a month I reckon which will reduce the points and fine you get. I would actually prefer this.

If you don't want the ban and can prove that you live far enough away from work to cause you major problems, they generally give you a fine and points, especially if its your first offence.

Make sure you look sorry.

Make sure you sound repentful

Make sure they know you won't do it again and you realise that your rush was no excuse and this whole experience has made you realise the what happens when you break the law;)

Plead for them to be leanient as its not in your nature to do things like that:)

Good luck dude, you'll be okay:)

Cheers Steve - I appreciate your comments mate. I will definately take them into consideration when I am there.

I am still currently reading through that site that 'Far' provided. Its makes for facinating reading, especially with regards to speeding offences!!

Cheers

Nick

Did you get a copy of that video in the end Charlie?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, went to the police station to view it before the court case, watched it with the duty seargant who commented that they needed quicker patrol cars!