The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wrong spring in external wastegate / boost issue

ballsdeep

Yea just confirmation mate, i found that the 40mm wg green springs are 10.2psi but can't find anything in reference to the 50mm wg? When it was mapped they couldn't increase boost past 0.2bar and suggested having a look for splits but it all looks ok!

Also I found an intercooler hose clamp wasn't on.. :rolleyes:

I hope so.. Something went very wrong a few days ago! One day it felt like a totally different car, quicker than usual, I caught a glimpse of my boost gauge and saw 1+bar whooops so I checked my boost settings and they were all wrong!! Not even close to what they should be...? I'm still puzzled by this! Only thing I can think of is they didn't set it up correctly or a gauge malfunction?

FOSTA had a spare 7psi spring so I have pm'd him to find out what colour

I just found something interesting.. the pdf instructions I have on my phone are different to the ones I just found online! online instructions have another section showing how to use the controller, apparently theres 3 running modes A,B and off. the “OFF” mode, the solenoid output is turned off? I take this as it would be running off the wastegate spring only which would make it overboost????

Over boost on wastegate spring only !? Seems unlikely but I'm in the same boat as you here I really don't know I'm still learning about afrs and emanage lol my head doesn't have enough room for everything

lol yeah I talk a load of rubbish.. my head hurts!!! I think what's happened is I might have turned the controller off and what im hoping is the wg spring is more than 7.2psi so the gauge would read more than what it was mapped for..? :blink:

but I'm still learning and most probably way off!

as for why they couldn't increase boost above 0.2bar beats me?

So I pressure tested the wastegate today and the valve started to open at 15psi and fully opened at around 20psi now when it was mapped I told them it was a 7.2psi spring, which turns out to be false! They said it pulled more boost on the first run than any other, so what I'm trying to find out is will this be the reason why they couldn't increase the boost?

I should also mention I forgot to tighten a clamp on the intercooler piping.. :innocent:

I'm a bit confused but from what I've pieced together then my understanding would be.....

If there were absolutely no boost leaks then the minimum boost it could of been mapped to is the waste gate spring pressure (which you've said is circa 15psi I think?). The reason they probably couldn't up the boost is because of the boost leak from the intercooler piping.

15 psi on spring alone.. Wow are you getting that one from fosta? Incidentally got my running today 12 psi afrs all nice and goes like a rocket just a shame the clutch is a little homo. New clutch going in soon!!

I'm trying to mate, he said he'd try and find it today? Failing that the closest I can find to 7 is 8.7 psi spring, my 5 speed clutch is holding the power nicely, all 260 horses! :( What clutch are you buying, I'm hopefully ordering a spec stage 3 from tuning developments this week!