The mkiv Supra Owners Club

is this a bottom crank pulley?

Guest aspire

It is one, but if it was me, I'd check if anyone is going on holiday to Australia as it'd kill me to pay more for postage than the product cost!

Still cheaper than over here though even with postage But thats a shocking amount of money for postage on something so small, theres also a few aussie members on here maybe worth a ask

Guest aspire

what sort of mileage do these tend to fail dunk? i have a second hand one from a 30,000 mile car but not sure if its worth putting second hand on my build as everything else is new!

what sort of mileage do these tend to fail dunk? i have a second hand one from a 30,000 mile car but not sure if its worth putting second hand on my build as everything else is new!

The rubber hardens over time/mileage/exposure and delaminates from the pulley, mine was replaced after around 6 years/45K miles use but that was in the hot temps of Hong Kong. I personally wouldn't bother fitting a 30K mile pulley.

I think it's a service item, so there should be a recommended time/mileage to change it in the workshop manual (see downloads section).

It's time, not just mileage as the rubber perishes over time.

Personally, I'd do them with a cambelt swap(6 years/60,000 miles on a stock/BPU TT or 3 years/30,000 miles on singles), but I am known for being a bit excessive on servicing.

The rubber hardens over time/mileage/exposure and delaminates from the pulley, mine was replaced after around 6 years/45K miles use but that was in the hot temps of Hong Kong. I personally wouldn't bother fitting a 30K mile pulley.

I think it's a service item, so there should be a recommended time/mileage to change it in the workshop manual (see downloads section).

Is there any way that they could be taken apart and for the rubber to be changed?

I've been wondering this for a while, even on ones that have come apart, surely they can be reattached, or does something else go bad over time and not just the rubber?

Oh, and I've never seen one up close, so am just guessing it's rubber sandwiched between the 2 parts that come loose when they fail.

Edited by Josh (see edit history)

Is there any way that they could be taken apart and for the rubber to be changed?

I've been wondering this for a while, even on ones that have come apart, surely they can be reattached, or does something else go bad over time and not just the rubber?

The crank pulley (harmonic balancer/crankshaft balancer/torsional damper) needs to be precisely balanced, it plays a vital role in the reliability and longevity of the engine, click -> crank pulley for full explanation

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

I would use a used pulley before some of these new ones if I could prove the mileage. I suspect re the age aspect that loads of the Toyota pulleys will have been on the shelf for many a year but again I'd not be worried as I suspect heat cycles and UV rays etc degrade the rubber more than simply time itself.

IMO whilst these are a known failure it's not a design flaw more that as Nic says it's a service item just with a long interval. It can also be seriously weakened by attempts to remove it for a cam belt change ie heat or a clamping of the outer ring when trying to loosen the crank nut.

I think you will get the "Toyota fitted it for a reason line" from some........but also that to throw the belt off you'd have to be pretty harsh/outrageous on the manual box from others.

From memory it's not that difficult to swap so I'd probably just swap it in.

Even OEM Crank pulleys can be faulty. Monkpower on the forum went through about 3 crank pulleys in a short period of time and I do believe they were genuine Toyota!

Brand new ones? I've never heard of a new OEM Toyota crank pulley failing prematurely, I've sold dozens of them over the years without any having failed.

I could believe 3 used ones failing (because of what wile e coyote said about removal).

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Mine looked fine but got changed as i bought an almost new one off CW for the right money :) I had

no concerns as i knew CW had fitted the CP and removed it so no risk of it being hammered off etc

Mine had done over 100k and around 15 years old