The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is this the correct type of auto transmission fluid

drift_bear

At Toyota Dextron III and type IV are two different fluids. The ATF type IV is a bit more expensive, I paid £52.00 with 15% discount for 5 litres.

Wheather you can use Dextron III instead of IV I am not sure.

Since I do track days and did not want to take any risks, so stuck with IV.

At Toyota Dextron III and type IV are two different fluids. The ATF type IV is a bit more expensive, I paid £52.00 with 15% discount for 5 litres.

Wheather you can use Dextron III instead of IV I am not sure.

Since I do track days and did not want to take any risks, so stuck with IV.

When I phoned and told them I was needing ATF fluid then that's what they said they had for it, hopefully one of the traders can shed some light on it!

Type IV and dex 3 ARE NOT COMPATIBLE. So if you have one and you want to change to the other you need a good flush.

Also Ive always used dex 3 and had heat from some people, glad to see Ive been vindicated :)

It's getting a full system flush Craig, that's why I got the last 10 litres Toyota had lol

Hmm, I have always been led to believe that like brake fluids, ignoring the too similarly named DOT 5 silicon fluid, auto transmission and power steering fluids ARE backwards compatible, albeit with lesser wear, temperature ceiling or longevity levels. It's a grey area, and as I said, I'd be happy to use Dexron III in a BMW or Toyota Getrag box, but if you are a worrier, use the manufacturer's recommended stuff. I do NOT believe mixing Dexron III and Toyota IV fluid will do anything terrible inside the `box.

What is marked on the dipstick? Early Soarers say Dexron, later ones say T-IV (although I doubt if the internals changed :)) . Don't know about Supras...

The MKiii Supra with factory 1JZ-GTE & A342E used Dex 3 too.

@OP if your doing a full ATF change are you planning on changing the ATF filter too? may be worth it if the cars covered many miles/years /shrug