The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Brembo brakes

cainhead

Guest Eddie_r32

if you speak to someone like db power they can make adaptors, I have had evo (7) brembos on a couple of cars before, I can recommend!

Evo brembos are very good, they are the size up from the ones Ferrari use on 360, easily an upgrade to UK 4's

I don't know mate, I have had jspecs, KADs, Brembos from an evo 8 and now UKs, the KADs kick the arse out of everything, but I think the UKs are better than the Brembos. Maybe it's te weight of the Supra compared to an Evo. The Brembos looked better than the UKs, but didnt perform as well.

Evo brembos are very good, they are the size up from the ones Ferrari use on 360, easily an upgrade to UK 4's

See the brake comparison chart at this link

http://planetsoarer.com/suprabrakesII/SupraBrakeUpgrade.htm\

It's a few years old now but it shows just how good the larger 4pot Supra brakes are compared to others. The only downside of the Supra brakes is that they're very heavy, on the up side that makes them very rigid, strong and reliable. Plus they are properly balanced to work with the standard rear 2 pot Supra brakes.

A set of the larger Supra brakes with lighter weight compound discs, good quality pads, fluid, braided brake lines and master cylinder stopper will haul a Supra up from silly speeds very quickly multiple times, the limiting factor is tyre grip.

To the original poster, if you currently have the larger brakes fitted, I still doubt a set of EVO5 brakes would be an upgrade. What disc diameter/width do the EVO5 brakes work with? If they don't fit the standard Supra disc width then you could spend a lot of time and money trying to make them fit. At the very least you'd need a custom bracket making to fit the calipers, which would probably set you back more than a set of 2nd hand standard calipers.

If you do a search there are a few brake conversion threads in the Tech section.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Guest Eddie_r32
I would suggest reading this whole thread but this post has the overall comparisons ;)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?225007-Big-Brake-Kits-Real-Numbers&p=2878407&viewfull=1#post2878407

Thats for six pots on the brembos by the looks of things, i still stand by my statement as someone who has used both brake calipers, one more thing to note is brake feel, uk4's are a bit spongy imho but brembos have a "crisper" bite.

i still stand by my statement as someone who has used both brake calipers,

The EVO 5 is quite a bit lighter than the Supra, so the brakes have less mass to work against.

Evo 5 - Curb weight - 1,260-1,360 kg

MKIV Supra - Curb weight - 1,430-1,510kg

uk4's are a bit spongy imho but brembos have a "crisper" bite.

As standard I'd agree, but with SS braided lines, decent brake fluid, a brace for the master cylinder, no anti-squeal shims and good pads fitted the pedal feel is very direct and it doesn't take a lot of pressure to lock up the wheels.

I'd say that my Brembo F50's, the same spec as used on a Ferrari F50 with 355mm discs, are pretty much on par with the UK brakes, but should resist fade better. I think the stock larger brakes held the record for a 70-0 stop for a number of years, it took a Porsche Carrera GT to beat them if i remember correctly! Get some decent pads in the UK's and they will feel much better.

I'd say that my Brembo F50's, the same spec as used on a Ferrari F50 with 355mm discs, are pretty much on par with the UK brakes, but should resist fade better. I think the stock larger brakes held the record for a 70-0 stop for a number of years, it took a Porsche Carrera GT to beat them if i remember correctly! Get some decent pads in the UK's and they will feel much better.

:yeahthat:

This. Spot on, rebuilt calipers with new fluid and braided lines and I think they are hard to beat.

Just seen all these replies.

In answer to the earlier question, I have a set a standard JSPEC brakes. The reason I have been asking about the evo ones is a friend has two sets sitting about from a project car he has fitted bigger brakes too. We were just talking about how I needed to upgrade, but he didn't know if they would fit straight on.