The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Electric seat worm gear- source if problem

Fly

As my electric seats weren't working I decided to take a look. It would appear that the worm gear which may have well been made from playdo is a little worn!! Just wondering if anyone can suggest where I could pick up another. I don't really want to ask to break another set of seats and get a part worn one. Has anyone had a new one made and if so where?

Some pics

That would be ideal, as I was trying to call model shops to see if they would sell anything like that. Can you pm me an address and price please oh and how long it might take. Thank you

You wont find a gear anywhere like that, the centre bush has drive serrations like teeth that the nylon gear is moulded around.

Looks like I could make in a few days once I have your old one, will pm you address and price, wont be cheap, but certainly cheaper than a new seat or motor :)

Ooooh I might be after one too, I presume this is the gear from the front back motor that seems to commonly die?

Yes mate, the motor that moves the seat forward and back.

Here's the gear shaped left over bit. The actual gear has been cut out using one of my wire eroders.

attachment.php?attachmentid=172487&stc=1&d=1373995331

IMAG1046.jpg

• 1 year later...

Tried 4 gears and one end cap from gamiviti, still not working

Have tried my best to research and ordered the gears from gamiviti but still cannot get it working, new gears got crack and stripped again during the movement test.

The problem originally started from loose end cap, then I tried to move forward and backward many times to see

what's went wrong. After research, understood where the problem is, so order 4 gears and end cap from Gamiviti.

Prepared very well and follow all sort of online advice and instruction. Both side gears got worn out, so replaced both as well as new end cap (with telfon tape and super glue). However, still cannot get it worked. After two different attempts, the motor side gear works fine, but left side gear just cannot get it to work. One attempt's result is cracked gear, 2nd attempt's result is worn out again.

Don't know what went wrong, have taken the things out to inspect again. The seat runner does not have any obstacle but when I manually move it, it is not quote smooth , may be the shaft with weld washer block the run, so need to move the shaft a bit when I play the runner forward and backward.

Getting very good knowledge on how to remove them, but the objective of fixing it seems failed. Feeling helpless.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally sorted. The issue was not from the new gears, it was my wrong installation approach. After putting all gear back, need to make sure both side runner in parallel first. I keep turning it after the lock nut has been installed, which broke the gear inside. The best advice I would say is to make sure the both runner are aligned properly before removing the parts, and never make the seat runner position change even if we turn the runner shaft a bit to free the gear box out.

• 2 months later...

Evening,

I have just replaced my drivers back to an original Supra Mark iv seat

I have exactly the same problem you had where my seat only goes forwards or backwards on the motor side

i have noticed on you photos that there is a white plastic Plug screw, mine is gone?

where did you get the replacement from & which part number is it?[

its the image on your second collection of photos, the one next to a roll of PTFE tape ( the cap with the Philips screw )

Edited by Skullcrusheruk (see edit history)

• 1 year later...

Replacing the gear with another nylon product only replaces it with a weak item.

If I had both gear and worm perhaps I could make a replacement kit of both metal parts (one a harder material).

Machining a gear like this isn't something I could do in my machine shop. However I could have one 3D printed using metal laser sintering.

Anyone have both worm and gear I could have?

How many people have this issue?

Replacing the gear with another nylon product only replaces it with a weak item.

If I had both gear and worm perhaps I could make a replacement kit of both metal parts (one a harder material).

Machining a gear like this isn't something I could do in my machine shop. However I could have one 3D printed using metal laser sintering.

Anyone have both worm and gear I could have?

How many people have this issue?

If I sort a spare u can have the current one to mould

• 1 year later...

Happy New Year from London !

My local carwash just broke the electric runner mechansim and the backrest ratchet on my 1993 MkIV. I can now drive lying down ! From your epxert pov can you tell me

1. if it is easy to lock the backrest upright (as it has no ratchet or lock at the moment and just flops)? This would at least get me by while I try to repair the runners.

2. Do you think the passenger side manual seat runner will fit in the drivers side ? I dont mind not having electric motors - one less thing to go wrong.

3. Did the gears from USA fit properly ? I wish to order them and overhaul if I re-do the electric motors

4. Any chance you could help me if I brought the car up to you ? I at least cont know how to to get the seat forward enough to attack the rear bolts.

5. Call me on 07958 591300 if easier.

Thanks in advance for any kind help. John

• 2 years later...
You wont find a gear anywhere like that, the centre bush has drive serrations like teeth that the nylon gear is moulded around.

Looks like I could make in a few days once I have your old one, will pm you address and price, wont be cheap, but certainly cheaper than a new seat or motor :)

Yes mate, the motor that moves the seat forward and back.

Here's the gear shaped left over bit. The actual gear has been cut out using one of my wire eroders.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=172487&stc=1&d=1373995331

Do you have the gears for the seat? Mine are worn out and need replacement. Appreciate if you could reply. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey!

I saw your thread on replacing the power seat gears.

Just wondering if you can help me with the below!

Would you happen to have a pic of the power driver seat - same images as below or just let me know what nuts and washers are used in the below (Prefer a picture so I can see if I can source an exact nut)

Here is the seat rail closest to the shifter console. I lost the nut/washer and wanted to know what it looks like plus how many washers go on the front. The other side actually has a nut plus two washers on the front but its a 12M vs 10M and can't remember if the same setup unfortunately. When you tightened the nuts I assume you didn't tighten them too much since it could break the gear inside?

IMG-5708.jpg

Here is the back of the above pic. Is there supposed to be a washer there or no? The other side has a washer, not sure if the same.

IMG-5709.jpg