The mkiv Supra Owners Club

TRD 2way diff fitted today

Homer

Been meaning to install this for a while and finally got round to it today. Got to say, what a total transformation over the open one (or even a Torsen). It is just so much more planted in and out of the corners, I wish I had fitted one of these to my old single supra.

If anyone with a high power car hasn't driven one with a 'proper' clutch type diff, I recommend you have a go in one. They are worlds apart from the stock ones. It's just a shame mines an NA!

Edit: Oh and I should mention, it's not a good idea to corner hard with the aero top off and one of these, talk about chassis twist!!!!

No need mate, you just get the diff that fits in your casing, not sure if the diff itself is different between the big and small casing but I expect they are... If you got the small casing, you could definitely fit the same one I have.

Does this affect the final gear ratio's?

I.e the benefit of running the UK auto diff.

No mate, It's the crown and pinion wheels that determine the ratio, the diff bolts to the crown wheel. I was lucky that this diff came off an NA so it was already setup and bolted to the NA crown wheel, simple swap job. If you were buying new it's a bit more pricey as the diff has to be partially dismantled and the new one setup.

The UK diff casing has heat sink cooling fins ;) But both TRD diffs are different 10 bolt 200mm crown and pinion (Jspec casing) versus a 12 bolt 220mm Crown and pinion

I have reverted back to an Aristo OEM diff , I had a carbonetics 2 way in there ; big difference in predictability, control and no matter how slow you try to take off in the wet from standstill she spins the inside wheel

Was going along the motorway between a bus and barrier in the wet, ended up going sideways on boost between the two, with the carbonetics she just hooks up and goes, no drama , only steps out when you want her to.