The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hks external wastegate fail na-t

ballsdeep

looks like I'm another victim to the cheap copy wastegate's leaking, suppose I get what I paid for! Iv just picked my car up from the mappers, it made a not so impressive 260bhp at 3psi So what I'm wondering Is if its worth opening up the wastegate to polish and try and seat it better?? If so whats the best way?

Is if its worth opening up the wastegate to polish and try and seat it better?? If so whats the best way?

Throw it in the bin and start again, better to buy quality brand 2nd hand, rather than risk your engine with some cheap Ebay crap that's obviously not fit for purpose.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Not necessarily, depends whether your running high compression or not.

I know of a few stock NA compression (10:1) NA-T's running 375bhp+ @ circa 6 PSI

14 PSI on high compression would not be too clever I don't think...

I go above 14psi quite often :D

Ok this wastegate will be picking a window!!! lesson learned.

Where did you buy your wastegate from mate? The XS power ones seems to run fine. I've never had an issue and have only heard of eBay copies being known for higher failures.

That said, get yourself a decent vband one. The HKS copies can't flow a huge amount anyway which also causes more problems.

I'm running a 60mm v band HKS copy with great results

Works very well

Are you using a boost controller to drive the waste gate, or are you running a really soft 3 psi spring?

At very low spring strength settings using the waste gate linked directly to manifold pressure means thevalve can be very easily pushed open and bypass by exhaust gases even before 3psi boost has been reached

Personally 7 psi is where I'd start at

And a boost controller