The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Stupid question for you all to argue...What is the proper why to check your Oil Level

DodgyRog

I know this sounds like a silly question, but I have been searching this and there does not seem to be a definitive answer

So how did Toyota intend for the Supra's Oil Level to be checked ?

By this question I mean when Cold or at running Temp after being sat

So go, who does which and why?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this sounds like a silly question, but I have been searching this and there does not seem to be a definitive answer

So how did Toyota intend for the Supra's Oil Level to be checked ?

By this question I mean when Cold or at running Temp after being sat

So go, who does which and why?

Northerners do it cold, US southerners do it warm, but good question .

Always check it when the car is warm! Because the oil is thinner :) Well that's the way I check engine oil!

Karen say talk .... :D Der don't you think the makers would have allowed for warm oil :confused: play safe and do both and go in between :D

Always check it when the car is warm! Because the oil is thinner :) Well that's the way I check engine oil!

I know what your saying Chris, but when the Oil is hot it expands so reads more than when Cold

I check it when warm as well, as that is the way I was always told to do it, but is it right

There doesn't seem to be a definite right way

That's why I put the and why bit, as in why is your way the right way

Edited by DodgyRog (see edit history)

I always check it when it is cold, my thinking behind this is that when it is cold I'll get a more true reading of how much oil is in there. Where as if the car is warm and the oil has moved about I will not get an accurate reading. Happy to be corrected but that is what I have been doing for years.

I always check it when it is cold, my thinking behind this is that when it is cold I'll get a more true reading of how much oil is in there. Where as if the car is warm and the oil has moved about I will not get an accurate reading. Happy to be corrected but that is what I have been doing for years.

That's exactly the point Abz, there is reason to think either could be right

What's funny for me is there have been over 100 views already with hardly any replies, yet we all (should) check our Oil, but no one actually seems to know if it's one way or the other for sure

Everyone goes either by what they are taught or there own logic, but surely Toyota set the Dipstick read to work in one way or the other

I check when cars cold so all the oil has gravity drained into the sump (on a levelish surface as well). I don't think it matters hot or cold as another question that needs answering is the dip stick only checks the last litre of oil?

For example say the correct oil limit on the supra is 5 litres from empty. The dip stick will still measure empty even after you have filled it with 3.5-4 litres then it will read minimum and the last litre takes it from minimum to maximum on the dipstick. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. But I'm sure on the supra this is PRETTY much the case.

Thanks Shane that's helpful:D They recommend both;)

I check when cars cold so all the oil has gravity drained into the sump (on a levelish surface as well). I don't think it matters hot or cold as another question that needs answering is the dip stick only checks the last litre of oil?

For example say the correct oil limit on the supra is 5 litres from empty. The dip stick will still measure empty even after you have filled it with 3.5-4 litres then it will read minimum and the last litre takes it from minimum to maximum on the dipstick. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. But I'm sure on the supra this is PRETTY much the case.

Oil must expand when hot, so would show a higher read than when Cold, so I would of thought there has to be a right way, as in Toyota would set up the Dipstick to read it when Cold or Hot

what is the difference on the level between hot and cold oil , if its not much why worry :D

In all honesty I am not sure on difference on the level, but it's just one of those stupid topics that no one seems 100% sure on

O and I wouldn't say I am worried about it, just thought it would make an interesting topic

Dipsticks are usually calibrated assuming the oil is cold and has drained down fully. Don't worry. Engines are usually designed with "abuse" buffers for underfill so the difference between the hot oil level and the cold oil level won't make a differece :)

As an Example, if you filled your Oil during an Oil change and topped it to the brim perfectly on a cold winters day, once it was hot it would expand and have to much Oil in the Engine

Just playing devils advocate here

Aha but on the flip side hot oil has circulated around the engine leaving a thin film on all working parts therfore not giving a true measure on the dipstick. For example you fill car from empty with 5 litres of oil. Run up to temperature, wait a few minutes and note the reading on the dipstick. Then the next day when cold measure again and I bet the reading will be the same or even higher as oil has drained back into the sump offsetting the small thermal expansion of the hot oils reading.

Aha but on the flip side hot oil has circulated around the engine leaving a thin film on all working parts therfore not giving a true measure on the dipstick. For example you fill car from empty with 5 litres of oil. Run up to temperature, wait a few minutes and note the reading on the dipstick. Then the next day when cold measure again and I bet the reading will be the same or even higher as oil has drained back into the sump offsetting the small thermal expansion of the hot oils reading.

:DHence the question to start the thread lol:D

Dipsticks are usually calibrated assuming the oil is cold and has drained down fully. Don't worry. Engines are usually designed with "abuse" buffers for underfill so the difference between the hot oil level and the cold oil level won't make a differece :)

But you sais "usually" lol, so did Toyota ? :taped:

I've always checked it when cold. Just how I was always told to do it.

When you do an oil change, the oil goes in cold, and will read on the dipstick at max if you put the correct amount in by the service manual.

But then, I always run it for 5 minutes to make sure the new oil has circulated round the filter and working parts, so it may be a little less viscous by the time I am happy.

Just checked the Service manual books under Oil and Filter Replacement and it says to run the engine to check for any leaks and then in the next sentence to check the Oil, so from that surely the Oil would have come up in temperature, but it does not even mention to let it stand to allow the Oil to drop

So that doesn't answer the question either really