The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Kakimoto exhaust opinions...

Anto

Hi All,

I have the option to buy a second hand Kakimoto Racing cat back system and wondered what the thoughts on them are... It would be going on an N/A with second decat and the seller tells me it is 2.7" internal diameter. What sort of quality and noise level should I expect...?

Cheers.

Nice loud or stupid offensive loud...? I have no near neighbours and don't do much motorway driving so would I like it or would it p*** me off after a while....? Would an after market dB killer/bung work to tame it down a bit..?

Nice loud or stupid offensive loud...? I have no near neighbours and don't do much motorway driving so would I like it or would it p*** me off after a while....? Would an after market dB killer/bung work to tame it down a bit..?

It depends on the exhaust system too of course, but mines with the bung in is actually surprisingly quiet if you're careful and just cruising around and even good on the motorway. If you were listening to music it wouldn't be so loud as to annoy you, just a constant faint humming. Of course when you want to give er' some beans, the noise is somewhat sexual :D

I would snap it up if the price is right, Kakimoto are one of the premium exhaust brands in Japan (rare outside of Japan), they make 2 exhaust models specifically for the 2JZGE (70mm piping) and 2 for the 2JZGTE (80mm piping), they are just a little louder than a stock exhaust but as said removing the cats on an NA makes the exhaust a lot louder.

Click on the rh links here for more details.

http://www.kakimotoracing.co.jp/01-01-01_t1.html#JZA80_NA

Iv been looking for one of these for some time now, im at a point of giving up searching now.lol They dont come up for sale very often.

Guess I just got lucky....... :cool:

Sell it on to b-w and get yourself a 2.5" two box system and get rid of both cats.

This is the 70mm version so I don't suppose it would work too well on his....

I would snap it up if the price is right, Kakimoto are one of the premium exhaust brands in Japan (rare outside of Japan), they make 2 exhaust models specifically for the 2JZGE (70mm piping) and 2 for the 2JZGTE (80mm piping), they are just a little louder than a stock exhaust but as said removing the cats on an NA makes the exhaust a lot louder.

Click on the rh links here for more details.

http://www.kakimotoracing.co.jp/01-01-01_t1.html#JZA80_NA

Cheers Nic, really useful link... Prices and sound clips too!

I'll go for it and see how it works out...

I put one on my N/A before going TT and it was mega loud, you could physically feel the sound from the exhaust.

I was fully decated though

As I am sure a few from the Dragonball will tell you, even now I am TT it's still loud

About 1 minute in on this Video from the Dragonball this year, so TT BPU

[video=youtube_share;c5oTgG-E2gE]

And this is N/A full Decat, it was with my Phone and it seems to deaden the noise when it get to a certain volume, but give you an idea

• 4 weeks later...

So it seems like like all the advice was right, this is waaaay too loud, even with the bung in place (can't get it out anyway!)....

I thought I liked it for the first couple of days, but after a week now, it has to go :-(

I guess a Whifbitz twin box is the way forward.... :-)

I had a kakimoto exhaust on a fully decatted NA..... to make matter worse the previous bender owner had cut out the baffle which made it horrendous.

When it had the bung in it didn't sound too bad and just a bit louder without the bung and then I wisely went full decat......... on the way home from Austec I thought I was going to die and had a massive migraine by the time I had driven 30miles home which is ironic that I technically got hurt by a car not in an accident. My neighbours hated me (good I hate them too) for quite a while after I had the decats up until the point I brought a Whifbitzs twin box 2.5 (part of me wonders if I should of gone single box)

The best part was having earplugs in and driving down a narrow road with cars parked either side seeing how many alarms can be set off blipping the throttle :D

My neighbours hated me (good I hate them too) for quite a while after I had the decats up until the point I brought a Whifbitzs twin box 2.5 (part of me wonders if I should of gone single box)

I've just mailed Paul to quote me for a 2.5" twin box..... How would you describe the sound as compared to the stock system? Don't suppose you have any sound clips or videos of yours....? I want something a little fruitier but the Kak is completely over the top.