The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Polished wheel cleaning

abtin90

I had my car washed today. The wheels are polished wheels and they used some sort of wheel cleaner on them.

After washing off the wheel cleaner the wheels have gone all milky and sort of look corroded. I've tried everything to clean them though nothing seems to work.

Any ideas on what's happened and any ways to fix it? They look awful right now.

Sounds like they have used an acid base cleaner, if they are polished wheels have you tried metal polish on them, you can pick up Autosol or Megs nxt gen metal polish from Halfords and should most likely sort it. May require a fair bit of elbow grease though :)

Sounds like they have used an acid base cleaner, if they are polished wheels have you tried metal polish on them, you can pick up Autosol or Megs nxt gen metal polish from Halfords and should most likely sort it. May require a fair bit of elbow grease though :)

+1 on the megs polish, great stuff, brung my wheel lips up a treat.

I haven't tried any metal polish as I couldn't find any around the house and wouldn't know which one to buy. But thanks for the tip Adam I'll pop into halfords tomorrow and try it out and post results. Thanks again :thumbs:

Thought I'd update this. Spent this morning using both autosol and the next gen Mcguires on the wheels. The autosol seemed to work a lot better in my opinion.

The wheels are now sorted and looking even better than before so thanks for the tip, was worried I was going to need a refurb at first. Really happy with them. :)

You will have to polish them all the time now and its a pain in the ass. I got some stuff buy "the chemical guys" caled rim gard puts like a film over it and makes them stay shiny for longer and it smells so good

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Chemical_Guys_Wheel_Guard_WheelWax_Rim_Cleaner_p/wac_303.htm

Wasn't aware of that I'll see how they stay. If they go bad again I'll buy the stuff you've mentioned. Thanks for the link.