The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone For Cheap Tyres??

terribleturner

I had a complete nightmare yesterday trying to get my Locking Nuts off so as to get my new tyres fitted. But on the plus side i have met a very usfull man.

Through a garage that i go to, i was directed to a place called "Monty's Wheels and Tyres" to pick up some new Locking Nuts up. While he was sorting out my new purchase he asked me about the price of my tyres. I told him that i finally got my Eagle F1's (265/35/18) for £170 odd but had been quoted up to £230. He then goes and tells me that he does alot of work with Porche, BMW, Audi and he gets part worn tyres with 70-90% tread and sells them off for £60 to £90. Couldn't belive it, he had what i had just bought for £65 a piece. And he gets loads in all the time. He also does a home service if needed. I also asked about Alloy refurb and he uses that place in Kent (Spit and polish or something, can't remember) with a turn around of 3 days.

Monty is a really nice bloke and definatly worth a call for tyre and alloy issues. He's based just off of J5 of M4. he made my otherwise really crap day much better.:)

www.montyswheelsandtyres.com

Tel: 01753 440006/7

Personally I don't think that I'd put part worn tyres on a high performance car.

One has to ask the question, why were they removed? if because of an accident, were they invisibly damaged?

I know the savings look good, but when driving up a motorway at 3 figure lepton speeds, I like to know that my contact with the road is not going to be interrupted :)

Maybe if I was skint and needed tyres just to stop me getting points on the licence, I'd consider it, but then I'd drive very sedately until I could afford to replace them.

Realistically, if I couldn't afford to replace the tyres, I couldn't afford to run the Supra, so I'd probably just lay it up and buy a cheap runaround until I could afford to get it back on the road safely.

All IMHO, of course :D

I hear what your saying Geoff, but the tyres wouldn't be for sale if they had caused/contributed to an accident as they most likely would be damaged in some way. I may be wrong as i don't really know, but like on bikes, tyres don't really get into thier ideal state for the first 100-200 miles. Surely you'll need to burn off some of the original tyre tread before they are at there best grip. Im sure that if i could afford it too i wouldn't mind shelling out £200 odd per tyre, but if i can get part worn and use them till they are down to 40/50% tread and pay the same as Steve then i can afford to replace them 4 to 5 times a year.

Personally I don't think that I'd put part worn tyres on a high performance car.

One has to ask the question, why were they removed? if because of an accident, were they invisibly damaged?

I know the savings look good, but when driving up a motorway at 3 figure lepton speeds, I like to know that my contact with the road is not going to be interrupted

I couldn't agree more!

There was a program on a few years ago investigating these tyres. They bought a selection of part worn tyres and had an expert check them out.

A high proportion of them had hidden damage.:eek:

The recommendation was don't buy them!

I wouldn't put one on a Micra never mind a 300 Bhp Supra.

In most cases these tyres are prob ok but its the not knowing where they been and whats happened to them...have they had puncture repairs or are the walls intact...I'm another person who is a bit paranoid about safety....(especially the safety of my passengers)

Save ya money or save your life....your choice lol

:p

I used to work for a part-worn tyres business and I can tell you that there's some very dubious practices that go on.

We used to sell repaired tyres to folks at a cheap price, we always used to tell anyone who asked that the tyres had come from accident damaged vehicles or that they'd come from the continent because 'they aren't allowed to use second hand tyres over there'.

Guys selling part worn tyres always have a story about how they're fine Guv honest. They're hardly likely to say "That one had a pucture but we've patched it. And that one has a bulged sidewall but don't worry, we'll stick the bulge on the inside"

I wouldn't put them on my car.

I used to use part worns on my old sierra. I never had a problem with them on that. I got the old "they come from Germany" etc line. To be honest I was actually gratefull for one because within a week of fitting one i managed to score out the tyre wall on a protrusion on a kerb and had to replace it.

I can see the attraction with part worns and the price but like alot of folk say there is that confidence issue with them.

One other thing to remember is that the tread depth on them will be different so the rolling radius of them would be different. Not too much of a problem on an N/A without an LSD but on the turbo with all that power and an LSD you are just asking the back end to step out in a straight line on you.