The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra vs evo?

AndyS13

Hi guys ive owned a 410bhp evo 8 fq360mr and currently own a 320bhp s13. Im thinking of getting a bpu supra next year around 400bhp ish and was just wondering if anyone on here has owned either a 200sx or an evo and how do they compare?

I would say better than an s13, much more refined suspension than a s13, quite alot heavier though i would guess, tight twisty roads any supra would struggle with an evo imo, the main struggle imo with the supra on back roads is getting the power down quickly on the way out of a corner either making sure the turbos still engaged or the turbo isnt going to come in whilst still turning out of a bend is the key from my experiance

The Evo is built on rally heritage, the Supra a GT cruiser. Chalk and cheese really.

The Evo is in general faster 0-60 mph and much better on the back roads. On open roads the Supra has a significant mid to top end capability over the Evo.

The Supra is also a lot easier and cheaper to modify.

I think you could be disappointed with a Supra if handling is a primary factor in the decision.

They don't compare at all. I've done the Evo thing and it bored me silly. A-B they are VERY fast, but they require absolutely no skill to drive hard. I did things in the first week of Evo ownership that I still don't have the bottle to do in any other car. Unfortuantely after a little while there is no reward in doing so as any ham fisted meat sack could do exactly the same thing :D

The Supra is much more of a track car than a back road car. Once it gets to stretch it's legs there are very few cars that can match it. Most rewarding car I've owned is the MR2 turbo.

Most rewarding car I've owned is the MR2 turbo.

Agree, great fun but trying to find their limit on a public road gets into silly territory, desperately need to get mine on a track soon and have a play.

ps. for the record a mk2 Honda CRX is officially the most rewarding road car ever :)

Interesting I disagree a bit about the evo requiring no skill what so ever to drive, true it is far easier to drive fast than a fast rwd car but it still takes some skill to drive it properly quick above 8 tenths, however I did end up selling mine for similar reasons as it does get boring having nigh on infinite grip! I love my s13 its just me driving the car basically not to mention its pretty quick with 320bhp and less than 1200kgs. I just imagine the supra as a higher potential 200sx with a bit more weight?

A well set up Supra is in a different league to an S13. The Supras weight helps inspire confidence, the S13 you're always worried about when the back end will go.

There's more satisfaction from driving a Supra quickly than the other you mention (IMO), and the 2JZ sounds far nicer than the 'four pots' in the other cars.

The make or break with building a fast Supra is in buying the right parts, and getting them set up properly. Chris Wilson on here is the go to guy for fast road setups.

Interesting I disagree a bit about the evo requiring no skill what so ever to drive, true it is far easier to drive fast than a fast rwd car but it still takes some skill to drive it properly quick above 8 tenths, however I did end up selling mine for similar reasons as it does get boring having nigh on infinite grip! I love my s13 its just me driving the car basically not to mention its pretty quick with 320bhp and less than 1200kgs. I just imagine the supra as a higher potential 200sx with a bit more weight?

Believe it or not the Supra with the right setup would probably have more grip than the evo. The difference is the turn in weight and the power-on out of the corners. The Supra has an excellent chassis when cared for properly. Unfortunately it takes so much more talent to drive a non-awd car to that standard and it's WAY above my skill level lol.

200sx to Supra will be very similar to the MR2 to Supra (What I did). I don't regret it in the slightest, the Supra is just a different beast entirely. It's comfortable, great cruiser and goes like absolute stink. It's just not as nimble or as raw, but it's definitely a step up. The Supra is a lot safer than the MR2, with it being mid engined and balanced it can be a nightmare, you wouldn't notice quite the dramatic difference with it being a similar setup to the supra.

With that in mind, I imagine the supra will handle quite similar to the 200sx, the MR2 would snap your head off and had no forgiveness. You won't notice much of a low end performance gain but once you're moving the Supra just pulls like a train. The really strange thing I noticed with the Supra is that it's so effortless that you don't actually realise how fast it is. The MR2 was growly and grunty and would snarl at low speeds when booting it, the Supra had none of the fuss but still performed the same. This made the MR2 feel like it was faster. It's amazing how the senses will con you :D

Very Interesting cheers for the thoughts and opinions! With regards to an s13 always feeling like the back end will go yes possibly on a poorly set up one, although I did drive mine when it was stock and I thought it was pretty good! Mine has far more suspension mods than most s13s run and I haven't driven anything that handles like it, then again im sure a suitably sorted supra would be very good to, s13 spec below for suspension:

ohlins coilovers

apex adjustable front and rear anti roll bars

apex poly steering rack bushes

apex solid steering bush

apex adjustable front tension rod with poly bushes

apex rear camber arm with polybushes and gktech eccentric lock out bolts

apex rear toe arm with poly bushes and gktech eccentric lock out bolts

apex rear traction arm with polybushes

hardrace subframe bushes

hardrace hub knuckle bushes

hardrace rear lower arm bushes

hardrace front lower arm bushes

hardrace roll centre correcting ball joints front and rear

hardrace roll centre correcting tie rod ends

cusco front strut brace

rear x brace with strut and c pillar brace

255 toyo r1r rear tyres and 235 r1r fronts

Edited by AndyS13 (see edit history)

The make or break with building a fast Supra is in buying the right parts, and getting them set up properly. Chris Wilson on here is the go to guy for fast road setups.

Hit the nail on the head there.

An old tired Supra, on tired old/poor quality/badly setup suspension is an awful and frankly dangerous thing to drive.

It's easy, popular and relatively cheap to get 400ish hp out of the 2JZ-GTE engine. Rebuilding the suspension with new quality components, getting it set up properly, using good quality tyres and brake components in comparison is very expensive.

A well setup and maintained Supra at BPU levels of performance, for it's size is a great car to drive, very involving, good ride quality, good levels of grip, tight precise handling and at the limit very predictable.

I got the model of evo wrong but you get the idea:)

Man, what a knob that Evo driver was! Plus he missed just about every apex featured in that film, you were very polite there Si :D

To the OP, youre comparing apples to oranges, all cars are very different.

I went up against an Evo 8, 320hp. I had his pants down between 50mph and beyond. I kept a few Evo 10's stuck next to me on some straight down Castle Combe as well a couple years back. Obviously I cried at the corners so everything over took me lol.

I think it really depends what you want from a car. I think the sporty feeling of low level roof and slim line door's will always give you a more confident feel than an Evo.

A few years ago I owned an EVO 6 RSII, one of the rawest incarnations of the EVO you could buy (as many say).

I also still own my BPU Supra.

Very different cars indeed.

The Supra for me on a spirited drive is about being precise and having all the power going through the rear wheels to control, and all the challenges that brings. It may not result in the quickest 'A' to 'B' car on B-roads and that is not a problem in the slightest. Its all about how you get there and the driver input and feedback.

The EVO on a spirited drive for me was about 'aggression' and how much can you get from the car by throwing it up and down the gears and making most of the corner grip and the rapid rate of steering that it had.

On a twisty 'B' road nothing much could touch the EVO. Much quicker than the Supra, as it was about the gearing and the 4WD 'security' when the back end started twitching. Not sure how it would have compared if I had the AYC.... I think for me any computer involvement would have taken something away from the experience rather than add to it.

On a twisty 'A' road the Supra was a 'quicker' car. (Obviously depending on how twisty and how much road width you have).

No point mentioning motorways because they are boring.

But also I can give my Nurburgring experience with both cars. As my EVO 6 was not really power modified and had the factory 300+bhp (more or less) I found the only negative aspect was that it felt it ran out of torque and power at any speed above 100mph. Whereas the Supra just feels like it goes from strength to strength at those speeds.

The grip levels from the Supra on a track like the N'ring feel much higher than the EVO gave me. But the EVO as always makes up for this in its sheer ability to change direction quicker than most cars.

Heavy braking is also very different in each car....the Supra is very stable whereas the EVO is twitchy. Both have their advantages on track of course.

I found both cars very easy to live with on a daily basis. Normal easy driving is well, 'easy' in both cars.

A few years ago I owned an EVO 6 RSII, one of the rawest incarnations of the EVO you could buy (as many say).

I also still own my BPU Supra.

Very different cars indeed.

The Supra for me on a spirited drive is about being precise and having all the power going through the rear wheels to control, and all the challenges that brings. It may not result in the quickest 'A' to 'B' car on B-roads and that is not a problem in the slightest. Its all about how you get there and the driver input and feedback.

The EVO on a spirited drive for me was about 'aggression' and how much can you get from the car by throwing it up and down the gears and making most of the corner grip and the rapid rate of steering that it had.

On a twisty 'B' road nothing much could touch the EVO. Much quicker than the Supra, as it was about the gearing and the 4WD 'security' when the back end started twitching. Not sure how it would have compared if I had the AYC.... I think for me any computer involvement would have taken something away from the experience rather than add to it.

On a twisty 'A' road the Supra was a 'quicker' car. (Obviously depending on how twisty and how much road width you have).

No point mentioning motorways because they are boring.

But also I can give my Nurburgring experience with both cars. As my EVO 6 was not really power modified and had the factory 300+bhp (more or less) I found the only negative aspect was that it felt it ran out of torque and power at any speed above 100mph. Whereas the Supra just feels like it goes from strength to strength at those speeds.

The grip levels from the Supra on a track like the N'ring feel much higher than the EVO gave me. But the EVO as always makes up for this in its sheer ability to change direction quicker than most cars.

Heavy braking is also very different in each car....the Supra is very stable whereas the EVO is twitchy. Both have their advantages on track of course.

I found both cars very easy to live with on a daily basis. Normal easy driving is well, 'easy' in both cars.

That's a fantastic post & comparison!!

ive owned an s14a between 2004-2008 4 awesome years, spend around 6k on it, was pushing around 300bhp, that s14a was a very very quick car, 1bar-1.1 ish. rapid it was. but yeah the supra is a diferent drive, loads of torque, but from memory my 200sx @300bhp was near enough as fast as a stock tt, bpu tho and id imagine the 200sx on the open road would lose

Supra on a set of nitrons R1+ in my mind fairly unbeatable. The supra has so much potential handling wise just as well as power wise. As said in another post if you do it right with right parts its pretty much on beatable. I have no problem staying with my mates Evo 8 on the B roads