The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NOW BEING UPDATED AS I GO>>>>>Transplant engine now knocking, help please

DodgyRog

:(Absolutely gutted, I have only worked one day in nearly 2 weeks and now this:(

As quite a few people know, I had a transplant done in the winter and on the Dragonball I had a major issue with smoking after lifting and then throttling again, which was pointed out to me on the 2nd day after someone had been following me during the day

Anyway general thoughts from everyone was Turbo Seals, so I have bought some 2nd hand Turbo's which I am now saving to get SRD to put on for me

I have not really driven the Supra much since the Dragonball other than short local runs to keep the car moving etc

I have just taken it out for a McFlurry with Jen, no hard driving, as the whole route is only about 3 miles in total and all in the town on normal single carriage

I have noticed a knocking noise when I got home and this is the video, any ideas if it's terminal, the knocking disappears with a light rev

http://youtu.be/MByzEqajx1Y

Really not a happy bunny tonight, it's bad enough having to replace the Turbo's, but the engine needing a rebuild is ridiculous, when I doubt I have done much more than 2,000 miles and that has been the Dragonball and the drive back to Devon from Whifbitz

Edited by DodgyRog (see edit history)

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's shitty buddy, sorry to hear of it..! Good luck putting it right!

Problem I have, is I can't put it right, the Turbo's are costing me enough to sort, if it's anything more than a few hundred on top, then I will be selling as is, don't have the funds to put another engine in

I am so gutted, I have just got the car to where I have been trying to get it to for 6 years and it seems like I have ended up with a totally duff Transplant

No Whifbitz don't provide a warranty on 2nd hand parts, which I was advised at the time.

To be honest I am not sure what it is at this point

I will start it cold in the morning and see what it sounds like then

The problem down here is the lack of a decent garage to take it to

Cam sensor but listening to it yours its not that

- - - Updated - - -

That does sound the same, anyone know who's video or is there a way to check for this on the drive

I am parked up tight to the wall, so there is a lot of exhaust noise in my video

The knocking seems to be from the front

Guest Budz86

I feel for you Rog, I know you had some issues with the turbos but this is really something you didn't need!

Not sure what it could be, first thought was bottom end but its difficult to hear properly in that vid. Also, it's strange that it goes with a little rev. Could it be transmission related?

That vid i posted was a guy off HERE called 'ALG JOT' he said on you tube ''it actually turned out that the wiring harness was getting interference from the alternator and was causing one of the cam sensors to not get any signal.''

If that helps?

Edited by Mace (see edit history)

Problem I have, is I can't put it right, the Turbo's are costing me enough to sort, if it's anything more than a few hundred on top, then I will be selling as is, don't have the funds to put another engine in

I am so gutted, I have just got the car to where I have been trying to get it to for 6 years and it seems like I have ended up with a totally duff Transplant

Don't give up just yet, lets see what the pro's here have to say..! :)

Sorry to hear about your troubles, don't stress take it logically one step at a time, I would remove auxiliary belt first to eliminate those parts, then remove cam covers , check cam lobes and valve clearances, have you checked oil level?

Slowly by elimination you will find issue, then you can deall with it.

:D

Sorry to hear about your troubles, don't stress take it logically one step at a time, I would remove auxiliary belt first to eliminate those parts, then remove cam covers , check cam lobes and valve clearances, have you checked oil level?

Slowly by elimination you will find issue, then you can deall with it.

:D

Remove the oil filter and cut it in half if you have metal particles in there then i would say bottom end rebuild time.

Oil level is good, although the oil is very dark and I only did the Oil change for the Dragonball, I noticed the Oil was very dirty after getting home from the transplant

I thought Paul was doing an Oil change, but not sure if he did, so I just did it anyway

Obviously with the Turbo issue, I am using some Oil, so I am keeping it topped up and checking the level before I take it anywhere

When it comes to mechanical stuff I am lost other than taking it off and putting it back where it came from

Remove the oil filter and cut it in half if you have metal particles in there then i would say bottom end rebuild time.

I'd start with dropping the oil mate.

Think I will have to go and get another Oil Filter and start with this then, as it's something I can do

Are there any local club members that could take a look with you.

No one that is close, I am a bit of a loner here I am sort of in the middle of everyone, but nobody that close

Big end bearing noise can go when you rev it but will be more noticeable on the run down

Sounds a bit deep to be top end noise, hard to tell from the video though

I will check the Run Down noise tomorrow

Where abouts do you live Rog? Might have a trade customer I deal with that could look at it

Exmouth in Devon, Exeter is the closest City