The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Potential owner of a supra, just saying hi!

Guest Chubmonkey

Guest Chubmonkey

Good evening all.

My name is Stuart and after much deliberating and having a 15 year itch I may well be taking the plunge and buying a Supra tomorrow.

Have wanted a twin turbo Supra for years and now on the cusp of turning 40 am about to take the plunge.

I have found a auto tt on an S reg showing 64,000km. The owner has had it for quite a few years and has barely used it. I drove another auto tt at Paul Brown cars in High Wycombe prior to this one and was left disappointed. Tried this car which is apparently totally standard and was pleasantly surprised. My daily driver is a mapped 335i BMW and whilst the supra isn't quite as punchy it's still very swift once it gets up and running.

I have a couple of questions that maybe someone on here may be able to help with?

1, the radiator expansion bottle was a bit brown and rusty looking after the test drive and there was a little water coming out of the overflow after the test drive. The owner said its because the water level was a little high, would this be the cause and would the water look that murky?

2, At what point does the boost build on a standard car? This car seemed to pick up around 2500 and then after 4000rpm it really got into its stride. Does that sound about right for a standard example?

Thanks in advance for any advice given and if favourable my next post may just be as a new owner...

Guest Chubmonkey

To clarify, I have always loved the supra shape but have always shopped for other cars. When I finally thought, "lets go have a proper look" it was a big moment. The guy on the phone from Paul Brown couldn't have sounded more helpful, he had the car ready for me when I turned up. It looked amazing but was a total dog. No real boost, we tried the car on roads around the area without tax or trade plates. Also the car had a major tracking issue or something, anything over 50mph and it tried shaking itself to pieces. I was told so long as I put down a deposit, all those problems would be fixed. He then showed me round his compound to look at other stock. Some of the cars from the website where there but nothing like the condition they appeared to be on the web. It looked to me as if they have interest In a car, make it all shiny and then if it needs any parts they canabalise other cars for those parts.

As for your car Drift Bear, it looks stunning but a little out of my price range. Also are you in Scotland? A long way from me..

1, the radiator expansion bottle was a bit brown and rusty looking after the test drive and there was a little water coming out of the overflow after the test drive. The owner said its because the water level was a little high, would this be the cause and would the water look that murky?

2, At what point does the boost build on a standard car? This car seemed to pick up around 2500 and then after 4000rpm it really got into its stride. Does that sound about right for a standard example?QUOTE]

1. With regards to the murky water I would say it just needs a good flushing out and new coolant putting in and should be good as new after that. But if its bubbling into the the expansion bottle then its probably in need of a new rad cap, It seems to be quite a common fault that the spring in the cap looses its strength, and lets some of the pressure from the rad out into the expansion bottle.

2. Pick up RPM's you mentioned are a nominal for the sequential system so nothing to worry about there.

Gav

Good evening all.

My name is Stuart and after much deliberating and having a 15 year itch I may well be taking the plunge and buying a Supra tomorrow.

Have wanted a twin turbo Supra for years and now on the cusp of turning 40 am about to take the plunge.

I have found a auto tt on an S reg showing 64,000km. The owner has had it for quite a few years and has barely used it. I drove another auto tt at Paul Brown cars in High Wycombe prior to this one and was left disappointed. Tried this car which is apparently totally standard and was pleasantly surprised. My daily driver is a mapped 335i BMW and whilst the supra isn't quite as punchy it's still very swift once it gets up and running.

I have a couple of questions that maybe someone on here may be able to help with?

2, At what point does the boost build on a standard car? This car seemed to pick up around 2500 and then after 4000rpm it really got into its stride. Does that sound about right for a standard example?

Thanks in advance for any advice given and if favourable my next post may just be as a new owner...

Stuart just turned 40 myself and near Guildford/Godalming in Surrey. 2) is fine and nice turbo whistle is normal. Re 1) ideally the coolant should be red, so brown murky is not always surprising as this is the 'off' colour it will head towards and in a clear container always looks a little worse. Saying that it's not ideal, I would make sure you see it cold and actually look in the rad itself and see if the upper rad core is rusty and then the bottom of the rad cap to see if there is rust sediment on the cap/rubber section. I would 100% make sure the heater works, something easily overlooked at this time of the year but that can be a pain/costly to fix. It could have some minor rust in the system and due a good flush and coolant + rad cap replacement, not a big issue and is likely but it could be more serious.

The rad cap is pretty generic toyota wise and so you could pay £10 and get one for another test drive to check it is just that...I might have one I could get to you if local, but not a for a few days as I literally have come out of day surgery for a knee op....

Total stab in the dark but is this car in Billingshurst with a Cranleigh connection....if so it hit my 'good clean vfm standard car' radar and whilst no expert I do have 8 Supra purchases of varying quality! behind me.

Edited by Scooter (see edit history)