The mkiv Supra Owners Club

SAFC II for single turbo setup help!

Guest KamSupra

Guest KamSupra

First off just wanted to say Hi, new member to the board.

I am not in the UK but it seems like this board has the most useful information for a JDM Supra so plan to stay around this community :)

I have a pre-vvti 1997 TT 6-speed, car is currently in BPU mode.

It is running an HKS F CON S with drop-in Denso 550cc Injectors. This is how I received the car from Japan.

Anyways I already have purchased most of the parts, and the core setup is:

BW S366 with T3 housing and T3 exhaust manifold + 40mm wastegate.

Got these off a mate for dirt cheap, he only put a few hundred clicks on it so practically new.

I was planning on a S362 or even S360 but the price was too good to refuse. He also mentioned it spooled well below 4000rpm which is what I'm after.

I'm looking to make 480whp or up to 500 if the setup can handle it. Which I think is about 560-580bhp.

No one around here can tune the HKS F CON S so I will be getting rid of it.

My mechanic suggested a SAFC II, he said to run this because he had the exact samething when he was running this turbo.

I started researching on SAFC for Supra's recently and it seems like many people had success with these, as long as your injectors are only up to 50% larger than stock.

So I'd like to run a SAFC II + HKS FCD / HKS SLD.

At the pump here the octane fuel level is good enough to run higher boost.

So I can run 1.5 bar safely without a problem but I don't think I'd have to run this high to achieve my power goals.

So I just wanted to see some input on my setup?

Should I also look into getting a FPR?

And sure I know I can get slightly larger Injectors, a standalone system, and this and that.. but as long as it works that's what matters. I'm working with a certain amount of money here so trying to not spend on things I don't have to.

Thanks in advance!!

cheers

Edited by KamSupra (see edit history)

Guest KamSupra

It won't cut in what way.

Do I really have to play with the timing for the power I'm after

From searching it looks like a lot of people on this board have run SAFC's in the past with no problems on a smaller single turbo setup.

I did intend on a piggyback but it will be a bit more. I can go this route if it is necessary. I have a tuner for it as well.

thanks

Guest Budz86

You will probably have to adjust the timing as the stock ecu is setup to run twins so some timing is pulled at the changeover point iirc. Plus if you are running more boost you will have a higher chance of knock so you will need an ecu that can save the block if something happens at some point in the combustion cycle.

General consensus from the traders on here will probably be that the SAFC is fine for bpu levels but any small to medium size single would benefit greatly from a piggyback. A standalone would be better but to be fair, thats decided on budget usually unless you are aiming for 700+ :)

Guest KamSupra

hmm I understand,

well I suppose to can do piggyback, that was my original plan anyways until I found out about SAFC.

I have Denso 550cc Injectors which are high-impendence

everyone in the US on a stock fuel system do around 500whp no problem. But they have 550cc low impendence injectors.

if I'm aiming at that power level would mine be fine?

If I end up getting like 480-490 I'll still be happy.

There was a member from france saying the same thing that yhe safc if fine but he bore scoped his cylinders and they all had det.

The ecu you have now is better then the safc!

Dont cut coners it will come back and bit you in the arse when you blow your engine , 600bhp on 550 cc injectors is not posible you will need larger ones to be in the safe zone

Guest KamSupra

So I decided that I will be running a piggyback system instead as I have a good tuner for it here. Also I will upgrade to 800cc SARD drop-in's.

With my setup then I should be able to make as much power as the stock fuel line can handle. I'll be aiming for 500whp flat.

Guest Budz86

Think the OP is going single Ricky - BW S366.

Good choice on the larger injectors and sticking with the piggyback. Do you know what fuel pump you currently have? May need to uprate that even if it is an aftrrmarket one. These things are thirsty!

Good choice on the larger injectors and sticking with the piggyback. Do you know what fuel pump you currently have? May need to uprate that even if it is an aftrrmarket one. These things are thirsty!

Yeah realised that after I posted, for some reason I had it in my head it was still on std turbos, anyway he should have no bother making 500BHP on the std fuel system perhaps with an uprated pump.

Guest KamSupra

It currently has a Walbro 255 but I'm assuming it won't be enough?

So I'll be getting the Walbro 400lph