The mkiv Supra Owners Club

w58 capabilities

Guest aspire

Guest aspire

hi guys,

have found mixed reviews regarding this, i know some NA-T owners are running in excess of 400bhp with the w58, and heard lots of bad stories, can i have peoples actual views who have or are running the w58 box,

Ive searched it loads and to me all you get is people reading it will only hold 400, and then telling everyone else the same like they have personal experience of it when they havent, usual internet forum behaviour though

Its a tough one as people say theres blew at 400 some a bit more yet usa owners running 500, 550 etc on the w58 without problems

must agree with dr_jekyll, ill soon tell you as im going to try and hit 450 in mine and see how long it lasts while i source a different box

Ive searched it loads and to me all you get is people reading it will only hold 400, and then telling everyone else the same like they have personal experience of it when they havent, usual internet forum behaviour though

Its a tough one as people say theres blew at 400 some a bit more yet usa owners running 500, 550 etc on the w58 without problems

must agree with dr_jekyll, ill soon tell you as im going to try and hit 450 in mine and see how long it lasts while i source a different box

I wouldnt believe half the info that comes out of America about a supra!

what engine are you fitting ? the w58 seems to like the more progressive smooth torque curve of the tt delivery . the na-t comes in in a steap hit and thats what kills the boxes.

Sorry to go slightly off topic, what clutch were you running in your circa 500bhp NA-T? or had you gone R154 by the time it had got to that power? Cheers

Guest aspire
what engine are you fitting ? the w58 seems to like the more progressive smooth torque curve of the tt delivery . the na-t comes in in a steap hit and thats what kills the boxes.

hi craig, im in the process of building a 600bhp NA-T with marco79, just sourced everything, im not into drag strips etc, but know the w58 is not an option, i think will have to restrict untill the getrag is an option, OR IF A MEMBER HAS R154 FULL CONVERSION PLEASE LET ME KNOW

Great box for a BPU supra! I'd say BPU is pushing it to the max of the W58 box. Justin Bieber on the forum is running the W58 and BPU and his car is rapido!

It's not BPU mate he's running stock boost as he has no boost controller, part of the reason he's not actually able to use full power, that and he keeps hitting fuel cut ;)

As for the W58 to my mind it seems to handle stock boost from the TT engine ok, I've even seen biebs give the box some real abuse and its still alive, but my opinion is if you turn the boost up and do that you'll blow the box to pieces, you could make it last if you fed the clutch in, but basically at that power level around the 400bhp mark your living on borrowed time

Edited by thetrashcanman (see edit history)

It's not BPU mate he's running stock boost as he has no boost controller, part of the reason he's not actually able to use full power, that and he keeps hitting fuel cut ;)

As for the W58 to my mind it seems to handle stock boost from the TT engine ok, I've even seen biebs give the box some real abuse and its still alive, but my opinion is if you turn the boost up and do that you'll blow the box to pieces, you could make it last if you fed the clutch in, but basically at that power level around the 400bhp mark your living on borrowed time

I know ive just realised - He's got 264 cams and a build engine so it goes like a bpu on stock boost ;)

Guest aspire

well, im under the impression it needs a stronger box, the money i have thrown at the engine seems crazy not to factor in funds for the box, it would be heart breaking if the box went, so as of this morning there are "gauging interest" for sale threads and wanted threads. cheers guys

my boost is linear, so it's not a great way to define the power and torque im running as the delivery isn't instant. my torque curve is gradual, and is RPM dependant. though im running 417hp the more power is near the redline so for a gearbox that's going to be great.

most setups with a big enough wastegate will have (as you constantly see on most other single dyno's) a strong power band and increase in torque mid range. i would assume 400hp maximum on those boxes.

though i drive like a looney, the power delivery can give others false W58 reliability results IMO.

Yup I think that's part of the reason, also think the car runs a slightly higher compression ratio than stock, and also the shorter ratios of the N/A diff and 5 speed I think help him a bit ;)

I think its almost a perfect setup for bpu! Its savage - If that W58 could hold the power/torque he would be sorted. Maybe a cheeky LSD wouldnt go a miss either ;) That open diff biebs is running though seems to do the job nicely!

I think its almost a perfect setup for bpu! Its savage - If that W58 could hold the power/torque he would be sorted. Maybe a cheeky LSD wouldnt go a miss either ;) That open diff biebs is running though seems to do the job nicely!

It does seem to be, has he taken you out in it? Feel's bloomin awesome actually! Yeah it is a shame the W58 can't actually, maybe if it had been made to handle just a bit more power, it would be the perfect box for BPU, yeah that open diff is also quite good as well tbh, the way Bieb's can fling it around corners and it just sticks, its quite odd actually.

It does seem to be, has he taken you out in it? Feel's bloomin awesome actually! Yeah it is a shame the W58 can't actually, maybe if it had been made to handle just a bit more power, it would be the perfect box for BPU, yeah that open diff is also quite good as well tbh, the way Bieb's can fling it around corners and it just sticks, its quite odd actually.

No he hasnt! I wouldnt mind a quick spin when its fixed :)

Not direct experience but i had an old Opel Manta RWD box in my kit car, everyone said 'there crap, they will blow up above 100HP etc etc' I stuck 300BHP and a lot of abuse into it, the current owner uses it on track days... So really, you are best of just sticking it in and forgetting! :D

I wouldn't recommend an LSD. Improving performance of traction will also increase the amount of stress in the box. Pulley first pointed this out to me. I don't have one, and it probably add's to the reason mines still alive after 2 years of hard abuse.