The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How should I proceed - complaint over completed work

Pixelfill

As some of you know I had the Supra recovered to my local Toyota main dealer with a failing crank pulley in October last year.

I wasn't overly impressed With their service tbh. especially the fact that they didn't have the required SST and eventually used a 1/2" drive gun to complete the job, and the extra miles and full boost whilst in their care. Anyway I got my car back and was just pleased to have had the crank pulley fixed.

Fast forward to now, and the Supra is currently in the care of a respected trader who has expressed concerns with the crank pulley. They've just completed a repair to the PS pump, and is thinking it might be caused by the crank pulley fault. Now how do I go about raising a dispute with Toyota. If there is an issue with the crank pulley I don't want them trying again, but if I have the fault rectified before they see it how can I raise a dispute.

Anyone know how best to broker this issue with Toyota. I obviously feel I've a claim for poor workmanship, but given their inability to resolve the problem with such a critical part I'm loathe to let them try again. But wouldn't want to have to collect the car with a known issue only to show the problem for a claim. I'd rather have the fault fixed and claim afterwards, but realise Toyota would want to at least see the problem, and be offered a chance to resolve it.

Would a report from the trader and photo evidence be enough for a claim after the work had been rectified?

At the moment this is all hypothetical as the trader wants to investigate further, but I trust their gut instinct enough to prepare for the inevitable.

I'm pretty sure it's your prerogative to have whomever you want repair your car, especially given the fact you're so obviously displeased with the main dealership's efforts in the first place.

I had something similar with my last car. I won't go into all the details, but I eventually took my car back off the company I had originally tasked to do the work I wanted (with some force, incidentally...) and then had a full independant report conducted by a reputable company on how bad a job they'd done that gave me enough evidence to sue (my car was a write off :() successfully.

hi mate,

If you want to pursue the complaint then you really need to either take the car into the dealer or get a written report as to what is wrong with it and go direct to Toyota complaints department.

Good luck, you will need it.