The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why are my turbos different.

marc_p

All the pictures of stock turbos I can find are like the below in a duel fin arrangement:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371863010.723779.jpg

Yet when looking at the ones I took off my car, they are in a triple fin arrangement:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371863139.357073.jpg

Am I being completely stupid here or is something amiss in the world of my Supra??

Possibly hybrid?

This is what I thought but mainly down to the behaviour of them, they pulled seriously strong, 295 Potenza's were breaking traction sometimes in 3rd when 2nd turbo came online, if it was cold or damp it would break traction in 4th aswell.

Only issue is now I'm going single these will be for sale but I don't want to sell as hybrids if they are not.

I don't think I've ever seen triple blades like that on any turbo before :/

I know, it's bizarre isn't it.

Is there anyway to prove if they are hybrids or not?

I think we have gathered they are not standard and whatever was done to them was done in Japan, engines covered around 72,000 miles so not exactly high mileage, so I can't of seen them being rebuilt due to wear when I got it(it would have been sub-60k).