The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oil coming out of breather filter on the catch tank!

Chris Bailey

Can is to catch the oil if the engine was to let go and pump its contents out the breather, if you just had a small filter on the cam cover like some do the oil coming out of it could spray on the turbo and the car could catch fire, it happened to a member a few years back, Gamer.

Can is to catch the oil if the engine was to let go and pump its contents out the breather, if you just had a small filter on the cam cover like some do the oil coming out of it could spray on the turbo and the car could catch fire, it happened to a member a few years back, Gamer.

I'd have to have a look in the tank mate - If there is no oil in the tank then is that good news? The clear piping connected to the catch tank have no signs on oil passing through them. They are see through pipes and they look brand new.

I'd have to have a look in the tank mate - If there is no oil in the tank then is that good news? The clear piping connected to the catch tank have no signs on oil passing through them. They are see through pipes and they look brand new.

If there is no sign of oil in the pipe or can you don't have anything to worry about.

Also worth noting, new engines can breath a little heavy when they are first built as the rings are not fully bed in, few hard pulls normally sort them out though.

Also worth noting, new engines can breath a little heavy when they are first built as the rings are not fully bed in, few hard pulls normally sort them out though.

The build was completed April 2012 and has done around 6000+ miles since the build. I'd imagine the rings would be bedded in now :)

What colour is the oil? If it's got a bit of a reddy tinge to it it may not be engine oil but rather the oily lubricant on the K&N filter itself. After I've been for any kind of, ahem, spirited drive (:innocent:) I have the same thing. I imagine it's simply due to a greater-than-normal amount of pressure being fired through the system, exiting from the filter at a higher velocity than it ordinarily would and increasing an effect that is probably there all the time but as a fine mist rather than larger more visible droplets. I slightly over-lubricated my filter when I installed my catch tank if I'm honest and that probably hasn't helped, but the spray I experience is definitely not engine oil. :)

Reading that back there're quite a few double entendres... :D

What colour is the oil? If it's got a bit of a reddy tinge to it it may not be engine oil but rather the oily lubricant on the K&N filter itself. After I've been for any kind of, ahem, spirited drive (:innocent:) I have the same thing. I imagine it's simply due to a greater-than-normal amount of pressure being fired through the system, exiting from the filter at a higher velocity than it ordinarily would and increasing an effect that is probably there all the time but as a fine mist rather than larger more visible droplets. I slightly over-lubricated my filter when I installed my catch tank if I'm honest and that probably hasn't helped, but the spray I experience is definitely not engine oil. :)

Reading that back there're quite a few double entendres... :D

Its looks like engine oil to me - Its not a red colour its more of a brown/black colour which to me would be engine oil. I only notcied it when dad had the bonnet up on Sunday. I have no idea how long its been there, Paul fitted the catch tank when dad went single turbo. So we havent touched it since it been fitted. Next time we take the car out I'll take the breather filter off and have a look whats happened. Just didnt look good when I noticed it!

Its looks like engine oil to me - Its not a red colour its more of a brown/black colour which to me would be engine oil. I only notcied it when dad had the bonnet up on Sunday. I have no idea how long its been there, Paul fitted the catch tank when dad went single turbo. So we havent touched it since it been fitted. Next time we take the car out I'll take the breather filter off and have a look whats happened. Just didnt look good when I noticed it!

Ah gotcha. Not sounding good. :(

If the tube thing on the side of the catch tank is a bit grimey or for whatever reason suspected to be not accurate, you can check the contents of the catch tank very simple by removing the filter and shining a torch in through the filter neck. If it's that bad it should be really obvious...

Ah gotcha. Not sounding good. :(

If the tube thing on the side of the catch tank is a bit grimey or for whatever reason suspected to be not accurate, you can check the contents of the catch tank very simple by removing the filter and shining a torch in through the filter neck. If it's that bad it should be really obvious...

I think its just where Whifbitz overfilled the engine oil when the car went in for pre Dragonball checkover. It wasnt there before. And I cant see why the piston rings would be letting oil through after a fairly recent engine rebuild. Im ashuming we both have the same catch tanks? The clear blueish hose that connects to the catch tank has no signs of oil in it or any oil has passed through it.

I think its just where Whifbitz overfilled the engine oil when the car went in for pre Dragonball checkover. It wasnt there before. And I cant see why the piston rings would be letting oil through after a fairly recent engine rebuild. Im asuming we both have the same catch tanks? The clear blueish hose that connects to the catch tank has no signs of oil in it or any oil has passed through it.

Mmmm... :think: That sounds about right - the oil has to go somewhere I guess. Ironic that it was over-filled on a health check... :conf:

And yes the catch tanks are the same.

Mmmm... :think: That sounds about right - the oil has to go somewhere I guess. Ironic that it was over-filled on a health check... :conf:

And yes the catch tanks are the same.

I doubt it would have been overfilled by much, Im not saying 100% its been overfilled because I havent even checked the dip-stick to see. But if it had been overfilled the oil has to go somewhere! And im hoping that in this case it decided to exit through the breather filter. Its not alot of oil but its enough to get you thinking :think:

Good news!

Just went round to see the supra - I took the breather filter off and the catch tank inside is spotless there's not any sign of oil :) So looks like we havent got to worry about anything!

Does anyone know if you can wash the K&N Breather filters? It would be nice to get the dirty stuff of it and make it look like new again.