The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mapping! A warning to all!

Slutters

Bad mapping. :( There was det in all the cylinders.

- - - Updated - - -

Regardless of how good the mapper is there is no way they can guarantee the condition of a used car working beyond Toyota's original specs - there is always inherent risk in mapping a car.

True, although detonation is preventable...

Surely any mapper worth his salt would be mapping using det cans electronic or mechanical, so how was the engine detting enough to do that?

only things i can think of apart from bad practice, are injector/fuel pressure failure, bad fuel or over boost.

:yeahthat:

Screams no det cans or pushing the limits to the extreme

Surely any mapper worth his salt would be mapping using det cans electronic or mechanical, so how was the engine detting enough to do that?

only things i can think of apart from bad practice, are injector/fuel pressure failure, bad fuel or over boost.

Indeed. :( Injectors are new, and were flow tested before they were fitted, fuel pressure was adjusted and evidenced marked and boost was set by the ECU. One of the mappers had used a rediculos amount of timing all over the place, 29 degrees where it needed 17 degrees. :(

I know what you are saying, however i won't name anyone as i cannot be sure who's map caused it. I just wanted people to chose there mapper carefully. :D

Surely the last map caused it? If it was one of the previous ones this would have been spotted as soon as the latest map began. 29 degrees of advance has to set off alarm bells?

Surely the last map caused it? If it was one of the previous ones this would have been spotted as soon as the latest map began. 29 degrees of advance has to set off alarm bells?

My take on it was, the damage was already done, the final mapper spent a good hour or so fixing the old map and got to the point where he was doing the boost stuff, got to 1.3 bar and as he lifted of a puff of smoke and i lost a cylinder. I think the damage was already there and that final boost run pushed it over the edge.

My take on it was, the damage was already done, the final mapper spent a good hour or so fixing the old map and got to the point where he was doing the boost stuff, got to 1.3 bar and as he lifted of a puff of smoke and i lost a cylinder. I think the damage was already there and that final boost run pushed it over the edge.

Bingo, that was my point. So the guy who did the most recent work was fixing the errors from the previous map(s).

So it's the previous couple that are in question then?

For the sake of fairness I would, objectively, let the good folks on here know who the mappers were. No conjecture, just fact. You may find corresponding history from other customers.

Ok, i cannot say who caused the damage, all i am stating here is who has mapped the car. I am making NO accusations!

The mappers were:

Martin of MB Automotive (Road mapped)

Austec Racing (Dyno mapped)

I will reiterate, i have no proof and wish to make NO accusations! :Pling:

- - - Updated - - -

Spec of car stayed exactly the same.

Ok, i cannot say who caused the damage, all i am stating here is who has mapped the car. I am making NO accusations!

The mappers were:

Martin of MB Automotive (Road mapped)

Austec Racing (Dyno mapped)

I will reiterate, i have no proof and wish to make NO accusations! :Pling:

- - - Updated - - -

Spec of car stayed exactly the same.

I would say that's fair enough, who was the 3rd mapper though?