The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Newbie looking for a Black N/A good condition around 4k?? or swap for a 330Ci?

rob_sri

Hey guys,

Just signed up :) Looking to get myself a N/A supra in exchange for my 330Ci which im hoping to get about 4k for..

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/379582_466458896778560_2029275851_n.jpg

Eventually I will probably upgrade to a twin turbo in the future but I would love a N/A for now (due to insurance/initial outlay)... always loved the supras!

do you think my budget is about right? Ideally i'm after a pretty stock example in which to twiddle with/restore.. don't mind an exhaust or aftermarket wheels but no fast and furious chav-tastic stuff - It may be to some peoples tastes but my idea of a perfect supra is something like these:

http://sphotos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/319043_10151390210470116_826955699_n.jpg

any advice would be appreciated.. what to look for/and ideas on budget! dont want to get a dog!

Welcome. There is a whole heap of info on buying supras both na and tt on here. There's also a lot of documented conversions to either tt or na-t once you feel the need.

The above supra is a very clean example,bathe splitter is an active lip only found on the tt but can be fitted to the na.

I've just realised I think that's litters car

It is mate popped up in google images when I was looking for a decent example of what I'm after!

Been having a read though a few na-t set ups too looks like it could be worth a go.. Or just sell up and buy a TT... We'll see!

Do people reckon I could get hold of a mint clean example for that kind of money? About 4k?

I don't mind a project something to restore.. Not shy to get the spanners out!

Would love a TT jus can't afford the insurance at the moment.. So either a na to na-t conversion.. TT conversion or sell and buy a TT outright in the future..

Gonna have to start the search for a mint black N/A I think..! :) :)

I'm still getting to know the differences between them all so please excuse my ignorance :p feel like a right noob!

What's a jspec? I tried a quote on a TT of some description and it came out £1000 more than a n/a and my mates s15!

I'm still getting to know the differences between them all so please excuse my ignorance :p feel like a right noob!

What's a jspec? I tried a quote on a TT of some description and it came out £1000 more than a n/a and my mates s15!

The tt may have been a uk spec and will be cheaper than a jspec because the jspec is a jap import ;)

For 4k you will get a very nice NA-6, but you will want more power soon as they are a tad asthmatic so id personally try seeking a rough UK car (you said you don't mind something that needs work) so the insurance WILL be cheaper even though its a TT. Many people have been quoted cheaper on a UKtt than on a Imported NA. What age are you? Best of luck.

For 4k you will get a very nice NA-6, but you will want more power soon as they are a tad asthmatic so id personally try seeking a rough UK car (you said you don't mind something that needs work) so the insurance WILL be cheaper even though its a TT. Many people have been quoted cheaper on a UKtt than on a Imported NA. What age are you? Best of luck.

Im 23 (low insurance risk job) driving for 5 years

2 years NCB

2 Non Fault accidents + 3 points back in 2010

live in a pretty good area too

the UK spec seems to be about £600 more expensive than the n/a which is about £400 cheaper than the jap!

i know what you're saying about the n/a route.. my 330ci seems a bit lifeless to me after my past cars being an extremely modded clio 182 and a built and massive spec engined 8l audi S3.. would love to own a supra though sooner rather than later.. especially a good condition one.. maybe collect some body/interior/wheel modifications and transfer on to a TT at a later date..

I am due some good money from a compensation claim from the last accident in the next few years so I can always go the TT route then and transfer stuff across to a new car or if the N/A i get is perfect enough.. do a TT conversion.

i think my one definite choice is that I want a black one!

Im 23 (low insurance risk job) driving for 5 years

2 years NCB

2 Non Fault accidents + 3 points back in 2010

live in a pretty good area too

the UK spec seems to be about £600 more expensive than the n/a which is about £400 cheaper than the jap!

i know what you're saying about the n/a route.. my 330ci seems a bit lifeless to me after my past cars being an extremely modded clio 182 and a built and massive spec engined 8l audi S3.. would love to own a supra though sooner rather than later.. especially a good condition one.. maybe collect some body/interior/wheel modifications and transfer on to a TT at a later date..

I am due some good money from a compensation claim from the last accident in the next few years so I can always go the TT route then and transfer stuff across to a new car or if the N/A i get is perfect enough.. do a TT conversion.

i think my one definite choice is that I want a black one!

Honestly mate im in the middle of an NA-TT and its NOT CHEAP if you buy the correct parts and do it right. I'm only keeping my NA for sentimental reasons and I wanted to learn something but doing the conversion. Just buy a TT.

If you're getting insurance quotes where the UK spec MKIV is coming out £600 more than an N/A and yet the Jspec is coming out £200 less than the UK spec then you aren't filling in the right details bud.

UK spec is the cheapest to insure by quite some margin.

N/A (which is a Jspec) is often a fair chunk more.

TT (Jspec) is a little more expensive than an N/A, generally around £100-£300 depending.

There is a LOT of ambiguity with insuring these cars. You need to be very careful that all the details THEY are quoting are correct as there are an awful lot of illegitimate options when selecting the MKIV Supra. One minor example is that a lot of them come up as MKIII Supras rather than MKIV, the MKIII is a fair chunk of change less to insure than the MKIV.

All is fine and well until you get into an accident or need to make a claim for something else. The details being correct is your responsibility. The selection options with companies are only there as a reference guide for quick selection.

Be 100% sure that the quotes you are getting are genuine. IMO the ones you have at the moment are far from it.

That's good advice thanks guys :)

Best of luck with the conversion..! I think buying a TT I'm the future is a better call by the sounds of it

The way it's going for me at the moment is:

n/a cheapest

UK TT - + 600 over na

JSpec - +1000 over na

If you're getting insurance quotes where the UK spec MKIV is coming out £600 more than an N/A and yet the Jspec is coming out £200 less than the UK spec then you aren't filling in the right details bud.

UK spec is the cheapest to insure by quite some margin.

N/A (which is a Jspec) is often a fair chunk more.

TT (Jspec) is a little more expensive than an N/A, generally around £100-£300 depending.

There is a LOT of ambiguity with insuring these cars. You need to be very careful that all the details THEY are quoting are correct as there are an awful lot of illegitimate options when selecting the MKIV Supra. One minor example is that a lot of them come up as MKIII Supras rather than MKIV, the MKIII is a fair chunk of change less to insure than the MKIV.

All is fine and well until you get into an accident or need to make a claim for something else. The details being correct is your responsibility. The selection options with companies are only there as a reference guide for quick selection.

Be 100% sure that the quotes you are getting are genuine. IMO the ones you have at the moment are far from it.

Thanks mate il double check.. Ah it's so confusing !!

Thanks mate il double check.. Ah it's so confusing !!

Yup, it's one of the biggest pains when getting one of these cars. You never know if everything is OK until it's too late. Thanks to the experience with the guys on here though most people can be guided in the right direction :)