The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Suspension rebuild

jonc

I finished my suspension rebuild last week and got the Geo set up today:D.

Unlike some on here I cant afford complete OEM replacement:( so after a LOT of reading up I decided to contact Dusty at MVP and go with front and rear sets of the R2R bush kits they sell and check all my ball joints as per the Toyota manuals (all measured in spec:cool:). I know the back upper wishbones have spherical bearings in them but Dusty and Kevin at MVP both said that they have a lot of cars now running many thousands of miles on the R2R bushes with no ill affects;).

I was lucky with the suspension break down as everything came apart without the need of angle grinders or heat although I did change a couple of cam bolts that threads looked a little flat once I had stripped everything down (There are some awesome torque settings when putting it all back together).

The sphericals on the back and the lower front bushes were a pig to get out :blink:of their respective arms but the rest of the bushes were fairly simple to press out (If you have access to a press). The R2R bushes are a very good system to fit and come with everything needed to fit them.

I also had the chance to fit Bilsteins on all 4 corners supplied by Lee at SRD which I fitted on stock springs to maintain the OEM ride height (The pot holes are doing my nut so wanted to keep the car as smooth as possible) and changed all the drop links as well.

After the Geo was set up I took the car for a blast and wow what a difference:d. This must be somewhere near what the car felt like when new and boy does it stick to the road well. The suspension seems to glide over the rough road surfaces and I took it up to 70 and a bit leptons (:taped:) and she was soooo smooth on the road.

I know the best way to rebuild the suspension is with full OEM parts but the R2r bushes and Bilsteins seem to have done the trick. I will keep an eye on the bushes and report back over the next couple of years of ownership if anything starts to wear/move.

Massive shout out to:-

Dusty at MVP, Lee at SRD, TCB for undercutting the local Toyota dealership and Performance Tyres in Plymouth for aligning it all after my endevours:blink:

I think with alignment and bits and bobs bought the total price came in at about the grand mark all in.

As others have said numerous times, most Supras are at the age where this needs doing and the difference cannot be understated.

Edited by jonc (see edit history)

Good stuff. Glad your happy with the effort, matey.

V pleased Dave:thumbs:

thetrashcanman

Nice work matey, the bushes in these car's I believe are one of the hardest jobs to do, but well worth the effort, sounds like you've transformed the car, nice work

I have rebuilt a few suspension set ups in the past with poly bushes but the sphericals on the rear and front lowers were a good old battle to get out:eyebrows:. My mate owns a garage which is where I get access to a press but the press was little use initially for these bushes. V pleased with the handling only hope it lasts:D

Iky

Nice one Jon, I was under the impression that the ride would be a lot harsher on anything other than a race track but the way you seem to describe it is the opposite.

I would say the ride is a little harder more than harsher but my sphericals and front lowers were goosed so I have probably forgotten what a good ride feels like :rolleyes: To be honest the roads down this way are efin awful to a point we will all be driving tractors soon :rolleyes: which is one of the reasons for going with stock ride heightto keep the ride a little more forgiving and my wheels are 17's with a bit more rubber on them than 18's or 19's with a small slither of rubber on them:d . The harder ride is probably coming from the Bilsteins but the whole feel across the tyres is sooo much better and the car feels really good across the all terrain surfaces we are now driving on:thumbdown:

As Mark has the R2R rears on his and lowered he may be able to shine light on how harsh his ride is on lowered springs with coilovers.