The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Who needs V8'S

Chris Bailey

You're right. V10s are loads better.

lolol

I am partial to a V8 and a V12 as well, personally. Like the ones found in these

http://www.koenigsegg.com/wp-content/uploads/AgeraR_2013_start.jpg

http://www.topautobuys.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/sporty-Zonda-2012.jpg

That doesnt make them reliable though - They have to totally rebuild the engine after every run because the engine is ruined!

Its not because its ruined mate they just don't want to take the risk of parts going when they are doing the drag runs, but yes your right, drag car engine's are as brittle as F1 engine's, well at least f1 car engines used to be, also now ironically V8's as well, V6's next year though :D with Turbos :D :D

Oh and as for favourite engines, I actually don't have one, love them all low down V8 rumble, to the high pitched screek of a V10 from an LFA, to that burbling noise from a V6 and the immense sound of a straight 6 and the pure sound from a V12 :D

That doesnt make them reliable though - They have to totally rebuild the engine after every run because the engine is ruined!

But then again so does Ryan Woon, in fact any race engine. Pound for pound I vote the v8 but its a never ending debate. Im happy with what ive got so thats all that matters :D

Its not because its ruined mate they just don't want to take the risk of parts going when they are doing the drag runs, but yes your right, drag car engine's are as brittle as F1 engine's, well at least f1 car engines used to be, also now ironically V8's as well, V6's next year though :D with Turbos :D :D

I found a video on Youtube somewhere from an event at Santa Pod, It takes the teams 1hr 30mins to totally strip the engine and build them again.

I know matey, its bloomin mental how fast they can strip them down and rebuild them!

I stand corrected "A Top Fuel engine starts tearing itself apart as soon as the driver releases the clutch. Pistons, rods, bearings, the crank, you name it; when you are talking about the equivalent power of one-fourth of the starting field in a NASCAR Nextel Cup race in a single engine, every component's life span is severely compromised. Many parts are capable of surviving more than a single run, but no team is willing to press its luck by making even a second run without checking everything first. After every pass, a Top Fuel engine is completely torn down and rebuilt in an amount of time that most engine builders find is barely enough to gap rings"

Insane!

I stand corrected "A Top Fuel engine starts tearing itself apart as soon as the driver releases the clutch. Pistons, rods, bearings, the crank, you name it; when you are talking about the equivalent power of one-fourth of the starting field in a NASCAR Nextel Cup race in a single engine, every component's life span is severely compromised. Many parts are capable of surviving more than a single run, but no team is willing to press its luck by making even a second run without checking everything first. After every pass, a Top Fuel engine is completely torn down and rebuilt in an amount of time that most engine builders find is barely enough to gap rings"

Insane!

I want an engine builder like that, imagine the saving on garage bills! :D

Again in my experience that's rubbish, I've had skylines astra turbos the list goes on.... All looked after all went wrong, got an na and failed to kill it.

Its very true turbo's are not as reliable as an equivalent N/A, the problem really is how they are looked after before you bought them, turbo's need to be cared for, almost rapped up in cotton wool, if you buy and build an engine and single turbo conversion brand new have it professionally installed and looked after you can avoid alot of reliability problems.

Why did you not buy a V8 if there that reliable? :eyebrows:

I wanted a standard car, a v8 supra isn't standard, I've done the engine swop thing and again in my experience it causes issues.

I'm slightly concerned on your views as a mechanic, no matter how much a car is serviced or "looked" after build quality and design will always be a factor along with luck in most cases.

I've had turbos fail, gearboxes/diffs blow,electrical problems the list goes on all of which have nothing to do with how well you service or look ofter them as they were serviced often and looked after.

The "old chestnut" you refer to big single vs a standard basic v8 is simple, the v8 is more reliable as it is just that.... Simple, that's not to say its a better engine however, some people prefer power however I Personaly prefer reliability.