The mkiv Supra Owners Club

TT VVTi Conversion DONE!!

Abz

You might want to grab a cup of tea... :D

Okay, I'll start from the beginning. I brought a low mileage SZ-R nearly 2 years ago and since buying it I thought it would be logical to make use of the V161 box so the hunt was on for a VVTi engine not long after I actually brought the car. I wanted a low mileage engine to match as close as possible to the chassis mileage. Impossible task perhaps but I started my search, after seeing numerous 'dodgy dealer' engines and being left down quite a few times, the best one being the engine going missing (which I did feel sorry for the chap selling it) I found the VVTi after I had given up looking for a VVTi engine. The engine belonged to long term member Nicholas on this very forum who knows a thing or two about Supra's having had a few. This came out of his '99 quicksilver with roughly 60k on it, I saw Nick's shell and this more less confirms the mileage, it was MINT!!

So the car was taken to Ash's at Garage786 (http://www.garage786.co.uk/) to carry out the work, I had to swim through a sea of boring BMW's to find a spot to park. I then finally met Ash who I had messaged a few times over the years! He then gave me a tour of his garage... WOW!! I really wish I took a photo of the whole setup it is amazing! I will without a doubt be taking my camera next time I am there to get some photo's for you guys. Although his main business was the premium German cars he still had a few lovely Japanese machinery there!! His son Yasir had some mental work there too!! Lucky chap to have a father like Ash.

The conversion took place a few weeks before DB and Ash more or less got the engine & in place within a couple of days... so I thought well we got loads of time so thought I'd add a couple of things so the following was carried out.

* New Whifbitz Double Decat Pipes

* New FMIC

* Rear gearbox seal replaced

* Transmission oil drained and replaced with Royal Purple TF

* New plugs, filters & service on the engine

* Carbon APR Rad Cooling Plate

Possibly a few more things which I can't remember right now, Nick then called me to give me a heart attack to say the engine was knocking! :blink:

After I recovered from my heart attack he told me he was JOKING & the engine started first time with no hesitation! All was progressing well & looking in time for DB, unfortunately although the engine was starting fine it wasn't responding to the revs as it should have due to the DBW not working as it should. As it was so close to DB and ideally I wanted to run the engine for a few hundred miles I suggested we leave it till I am back. SpeedyAndy kindly popped over to have a look the day before DB as he thought it might have been the wiring which wewrichard had issues with on his VVTi conversion. Talking of Rich, this LEGEND, kind soul offered to lend me his car for a couple of days so then we could double check everything and work out what was wrong! To cut a long story short it turned out to be a faulty throttle body!(I have to thank Keron for this as it was his suggestion it could be the whole unit) Not the original TPS we assumed it was. Ash even brought a brand new one to test as we couldn't get hold of a second hand one! That wasn't cheap and he foot the bill for it as he wanted it done in time but I didn't want it rushed.

So after a drive to Nippon Auto's (yes you read that right!!) I got a replacement part from the most dodgiest scrap yard in the northern hemisphere! They wanted a 20% surcharge for using a debit card. When I explained that a debit card doesn't charge them and only a credit card will he rambled on about fixed charges across cards & then gave me a receipt... on the back of a business card. I was a little dumbfound by this but I needed the part and spoke to the chap who took it off for me who seemed genuine. Took it back to Ash's and after little Ash tided up the wiring to make it nice and neat, the TB was fitted & boom all working perfectly! Woohoo!!

Car was then all put together, tested a few times including some test drives & then cleaned & ready for me... what made my day though was once the bung (which was stuck BTW) was taken out and then the car was started outside a friend of Ash's said to me "She sounds lovely, what a car", now normally that would just make you smile... but when it comes from a chap who owns a Ultima amongst a host of other amazing cars it really says something about the Supra, seriously made my day.

So drive to London was fun!! I didn't really push it as I wanted to ensure the engine was running smoothly, temps etc and making sure that everything is as it should be. I need a good reliable car as sometimes my wife drives it too. Although at Ash's the car was slipping mainly in 3rd gear, when I took it out a couple of days later I noticed it was slipping in 1st, 2nd and 3rd! Though before the slipping I took her for a spin around some private roads... and oh man did I miss boost!! She drives so lovely!! I am not surprised the clutch went TBH... it is the ORIGINAL clutch on the car!!

Got a few more bits and bobs to sort out on the car & get it where I want including painting the bonnet, sorting out the wheels and fitting the lip (Will be done at Supraloopy's).

I honestly can not thank Ash enough, he is a true gentleman & can not recommend his services enough!! I will without a doubt be back for more!

I should also take this opportunity to take a few more people who have helped me out MASSIVELY, Keron, Wewrichard, SpeedAndy, Nicholas & numourous other people on the forum who have helped out!! We are lucky as a club to have such a great caliber of members with vast knowledge and generosity which is unseen on other car clubs. I believe in Karma so hopefully one day when you guys need some help from me I'll be right there... to give you the drag racing tips :D

Sorry for the long post and thank you to some of you who actually read the whole thing!!

Finally a couple of quick pictures... car is going back in a week or so for a new clutch, oil change and a clean up! :cool:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats Abz glad it's all sorted must be a massive improvement with that TT lump in shame it wasn't ready for dragonball then again you wouldn't want the clutch and other problems arising while abroad so I guess it was all for the best.

Make sure you keep us updated on the changes.

What a piece of crap! :D

Nice mate, intercooler looks like a good kit? Where'd you get that from?

Pleased to see it finally working! When's the single kit going on? :D

Shut it you!!

IC is top notch from a reliable source of mine ;)

Congrats Abz glad it's all sorted must be a massive improvement with that TT lump in shame it wasn't ready for dragonball then again you wouldn't want the clutch and other problems arising while abroad so I guess it was all for the best.

Make sure you keep us updated on the changes.

Thanks fella, yep you are sure right, I'd rather it is done properly rather than risk ruining a great event with issues.

How much wiring changes were made? Just the engine loom or the entire dash/body loom?

Not a great deal to be honest, JodyT made an excellent thread somewhere, Ash would know more but it was mainly a bit of work on the loom to switch off the TC the VVTi looks for & some work from fuse box to TPS for power needs to be done. If you want I can dig out the thread for you Martin?

Great news! And great to hear about so much club spirit too. Excellent news mate.

Thanks dude, very chuffed!! Now we can have a play... Just gotta work on my shifting :D

Not a great deal to be honest, JodyT made an excellent thread somewhere, Ash would know more but it was mainly a bit of work on the loom to switch off the TC the VVTi looks for & some work from fuse box to TPS for power needs to be done. If you want I can dig out the thread for you Martin?

If you be so kind. Was always under the impression that the non vvti equipped car's had incompatible looms which needed either A. Rewiring or B. Replacing altogether.