The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Na-t and or Engine Builders advice needed

MattP

Hi all as a few of you know im currently in the strip down phase of my N/A-T build I intend on using the whifbitz kit however as the engine is out the lot is being built from bottom to top my question is this.....

I will have a fully refreshed N/A block complete with TT pistons (hopefully) and will be looking for around 500bhp which head gasket should I use for these goals as the TT pistons are in there should I stick with N/A headgasket or am I to fit the TT gasket?

Build thread in case anyone is interested....http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?291060-MattP-NA-T-Build-(Project-Jeff)&highlight=mattp

Regards Matt

hrmm odd one. My advice would be to go with the stock head gasket otherwise you may lower the compression too much. i will try and find th efigures that show what the compressions are with all the different options of tt pistons vs stock etc. But my gut feeling at the minute is go with a stock headgasket, i wouldnt fit a full up TT gasket.

i will have a search and get back to you though

T.T. pistons with T.T. head-gasket = static compression 8.1:1 ~ Capacity for more boost than bottom end can take and give a laggy launch ~ Squish 3.25mm

T.T. pistons with N/A head-gasket = static compression 9.0:1 ~ Good for 2 Bar (99 RON) ~ Squish 1.14mm (750? bhp)

N/A pistons with T.T. head-gasket = static compression 9.2:1 ~ Good for 1.8 Bar (99 RON) ~ Squish 2.15mm (700? bhp)

N/A pistons with N/A head-gasket = static compression 10:1 ~ Good for 1 Bar (99 RON) ~ Squish 1.14mm (500? bhp)

if by magic

Do search, the comp ratios are on here somewhere.

T.T. pistons with N/A gasket is the best combo.

I looked it up dave I love the search bar haha just making sure following previous builds im reading things correctly :)

:thumbs:

T.T. pistons with T.T. head-gasket = static compression 8.1:1 ~ Capacity for more boost than bottom end can take and give a laggy launch ~ Squish 3.25mm

T.T. pistons with N/A head-gasket = static compression 9.0:1 ~ Good for 2 Bar (99 RON) ~ Squish 1.14mm (750? bhp)

N/A pistons with T.T. head-gasket = static compression 9.2:1 ~ Good for 1.8 Bar (99 RON) ~ Squish 2.15mm (700? bhp)

N/A pistons with N/A head-gasket = static compression 10:1 ~ Good for 1 Bar (99 RON) ~ Squish 1.14mm (500? bhp)

if by magic

Excellent it took about 15 mins to get confirmation and this is why the membership is worth paying for the support is 1st class thanks guys

if by magic

Cheers Fly, I couldn't remember where I'd put it.

I'll label this post to make it more findable.

no bother, we are all here to help. its in the club NA-T section on here under technical.

Can you put this info on team na-t as well mate? It says good for 2 bar as well. Whats this with, as turbo will make the volume dependant.

Very intresting thread as am deciding myself what way to go with my engine rebuild for na-t. Looking at pros and cons off tt piston with na gasket or na pistons with tt gasket. Am minute am thinking tt pistons with na gasket be the more reliable and drive able option

its not a question of reliability its a question of compression. the great thing about the NA is its high compression and when mixed with a turbo gives you great throttle response off boost. If you drop the compression too much it takes forever (not really) and is quite laggy off boost hence why tt pistons and head gasket drop the comp too much. Theres also squish to think about though my knowlege on the subject stops here.

Noz ile post those figures up in team NA-T i think what it means is how safe that setup is at a certain boost pressure i.e dont go over 2 bar at this compression ratio.

There is still no reference to what turbo here. 1 bar on a GT40 series turbo could easily pop a stock long block.

Squish is all about the flow of gases, leaving left over gases in a chamber results in lower wetting of the fuel and that causes pre ignition. I think. More research should be done into this.

There is still no reference to what turbo here. 1 bar on a GT40 series turbo could easily pop a stock long block.

Squish is all about the flow of gases, leaving left over gases in a chamber results in lower wetting of the fuel and that causes pre ignition. I think. More research should be done into this.

I will be using a Borg Warner S360 60mm T4 turbocharger if thats relevant?

• 3 years later...

if by magic

Just bumping this thread to see if anyone has CR/boost limit figures for an NA on a VVTi head? They run 10.5:1 standard so I'm wondering if TT pistons and TT HG would be good for dropping the CR down to a boost friendly level on our dirty pump fuel (V-Power). If I'm going to be dropping the CR, I'd like to just do it once and not have to lower it again at a later stage if I want more boost. 2bar would be the absolute limit.

I found this table but not sure if it's different at all with USDM 2JZ's or being in a different car (it's from an IS300 forum).

http://forums.drom.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=993148&d=1273253560

Edited by Style (see edit history)

sorry to crash this thread.... i'm looking for 800hp at the fly (ish) I was planning TT pistons & TT head gasket, would people suggest the NA Head gasket and me look at more 750hp (2 bar ish) max?

Just go bigger turbo mate. If you've got the turbo already however and planned on running more than 2 bar of boost, you could always go for a water/meth injection kit and chase 800hp on an N/A HG that way.

sorry to crash this thread.... i'm looking for 800hp at the fly (ish) I was planning TT pistons & TT head gasket, would people suggest the NA Head gasket and me look at more 750hp (2 bar ish) max?

The N/A head gasket would be fine, it's the con rods you need worry about.