The mkiv Supra Owners Club

na loosing oil

scott87

Im having a small issue with my non turbo supra. Ive been using a little oil recently, had to top it up from just below full back up again a few times. I havent got any blue smoke from the exhaust just a bit of white smoke which i think is just condensation as my water levels arent going down at all.

I have just done a 1200km drive to cornwall and back and the oil went from full to about half, on the dipstick, ive just put a small amount in and its gone back up again. I do have slight seeping from the rocker gasket at the rear down the block but it is only minor and im sure this cant account for the amount lost, or maybe it can?

Question is is there anything thing eles i should look for or am i best getting a small torque wrench (mine doesnt go low enough for the cam cover) and changing the gasket and seeing if the loss stops......

I'm guessing someone has followed you to confirm that there is no blue smoke on hard acceleration? Although I have never heard of piston ring failure on an N/A.

It could be from the rocker cover as the rubber seals do perish over time(happened on my TT), this is a cheap and easy job aswell.

I'm guessing someone has followed you to confirm that there is no blue smoke on hard acceleration? Although I have never heard of piston ring failure on an N/A.

It could be from the rocker cover as the rubber seals do perish over time(happened on my TT), this is a cheap and easy job aswell.

I havent as under hard acceleration my mates fiesta disappears :p but in all seriousness i have been eagle eyeing the back of the car whilst driving and there hasnt been any....

I assume the oil coming out of the rocker could burn off pretty quickly especially if its falling onto the manifold.

Ive got the gasket as long as the part number is correct i just dont have a torque wrench that goes low enough and didnt want to do it by hand, unless someone local can lend a hand ill have to buy one :)

Check the oil filter seal too. It may seep out under load. Failing that, Jet wash under the car and once dry you should hopefully see the area you're losing oil from and investigate further.

Good thing to check, I am a ba5tard for not tightening oil filters up enough and find them weeping, however, this would usually leave some oil on the floor.

Check the oil filter seal too. It may seep out under load. Failing that, Jet wash under the car and once dry you should hopefully see the area you're losing oil from and investigate further.

I had some oil coming of that oil cooler (the thing that connects the oilfilter with the block)

There's a thin o-ring that went out over the years on my GE.

Nasty job to replace as it's super tight with the engine and AC compressor fitted.

Worth a try...

Regards, Herbert

How much oil is it actually using, and which oil is in it?

Even new car handbooks usually say that acceptable consumption is up to a litre per 1,000 kilometres.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?110621-Oil-level-dropped-after-spirited-drive&highlight=normal+oil+consumption

He is not wrong. I quote from the Supra owners manual page 94:

Oil consumption: Max 1.0L per 1000KM

When judging the amount of oil consumption, note the oil may become diluted and make it difficult to judge the true level accurately.

As an example, if a vehicle is used for repeated short trips, and consumes a normal amount of oil, the dipstick may not show any drop in the oil level at all, even after 1000KM or more. This is because the oil is gradually becoming diluted with fuel or moisture making it appear that the oil level has not changed.

The diluting ingredients evaporate out when the vehicle is then driven at high speeds, as on an expressway, making it appear that oil is excessively consumed after driving at high speeds.

Mine was losing a little too ......I had three minor weeps, 1 from the oil filter housing to block (new rubber seal sorted it) 1 from the bigger of the two "Allen" studs on the oil filter housing above the filter (thorough cleaned threads and threadlock sorted that) and dizzy O ring ....... All fine now :D

How much oil is it actually using, and which oil is in it?

Even new car handbooks usually say that acceptable consumption is up to a litre per 1,000 kilometres.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?110621-Oil-level-dropped-after-spirited-drive&highlight=normal+oil+consumption

This sounds about right then. I would say its used a litre over the last 2.5k

Guest balloo

big difference in 1k and 2.5k.............i guess things to check would be oil filer seal and if the filter itself is not tightened properly. In that case, you are likely to see drops of oil on the floor as you drive off. Another thing to check would be the bolt on the oil sump in case it's not been tightened up after a service.

big difference in 1k and 2.5k.............i guess things to check would be oil filer seal and if the filter itself is not tightened properly. In that case, you are likely to see drops of oil on the floor as you drive off. Another thing to check would be the bolt on the oil sump in case it's not been tightened up after a service.

Filter and sump plug are both nice and tight, nor is there any oil around either of them. Just the oil from the rocker gasket.

Valve stem seals on my N/A were dead and contributed to a similar problem in the end I was filling the oil on 3 week intervals before it finally let go.

On the strip down of the engine all of the above were contributing factors so far......

Rocker cover gaskets seeping mainly at the back

Rotor arm seal

oil filter housing

valve stem seals

and in the end on bearing failure the front crank seal

Edited by MattP (see edit history)

Valve stem seals on my N/A were dead and contributed to a similar problem in the end I was filling the oil on 3 week intervals before it finally let go.

On the strip down of the engine all of the above were contributing factors so far......

Rocker cover gaskets seeping mainly at the back

Rotor arm seal

oil filter housing

valve stem seals

and in the end on bearing failure the front crank seal

Still no blue smoke, so i doubt very much now that it is the seals.....