The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Headlight insert corroded/yellow. Is it cleanable?

ryansupra

Hi guys,

I just spent 2 days searching and couldn't find any useful info on this issue..

My headlights are really bad inside, the pic shows what i mean. It seems that the plastic inside is corroding or yellowing, not sure what started it. If i open them up, will the yellow stuff just clean off? Or i have to paint them black to cover the mess? The issue is that the rings are corroded too so if i paint, rings have to be black too which is not my first option.

IMG-20130609-00016.jpg

It can't hurt to give it a try if you're prepare to paint them should it fail. Personally I would (and have!) just get them painted because it freshens up the front of the car no end, with or without the chrome rings. Why not try colour matching the inserts to your car? That could look very Ferrari 360-esque... :)

Good luck, anyway! :cool:

Ryan. It's not corrosion it's the chrome stuff peeling off its quite typical with facelift headlights. There is a guide on here to refurbish your headlights and polishing the lense which from your pic looks like it needs it .I would agree with Dave painting them really does freshen up the front end of the car.

As fly touched on there,

There is no way of 'saving' or 'cleaning up to reveal' the chrome on those headlights.

The chrome has basically flaked off and the yellow colour is the colour beneath the chrome.

If you want to get those headlights back to looking good the easiest 'DIY' option is sand the chrome insert down (flatten with sandpaper) primer & paint the entire insert black.

Members have experimented with chrome sheeting and paint to try and keep the rings silver but this isn't really a 'first-time' activity.

Also as fly mentioned, would be worth cleaning up the outer lens whilst your working on the headlights - try and take out some of the milkyness/yellowing.

They should look pretty good once cleaned and painted! :thumbs: