The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Running on fumes

DaveR

After my little run out last weekend and the other Supra-related fun I've had on Friday and Saturday (Bluewater meet / RWYB respectively), I thought I'd repeat my spirited driving session around the country roads of Pirbright and Aldershot this afternoon. I even got some videos of the experience (I haven't looked at them yet but I'll get them uploaded and posted if they're any good).

While I was driving though I noticed that the back end didn't feel anywhere near as planted as it normally does. It was then that I looked at the fuel gauge. In over 5 years of Supra ownership my fuel tank has never dipped below 1/4 tank, but my DASH2 readout looked like this... :eek: :

attachment.php?attachmentid=170828&d=1370805922

Yes, that's -332% fuel!!

It actually topped out - or is that bottomed out? :think: - at -420%!! Clearly it hit 0% and then the sensor translated the fumes in this way. No wonder the back end felt a little skittery, there was virtually no weight over it!

After getting to the nearest Shell station and discovering they had no V-Power (grrr!!!) I made it to the next closest (after a VERY tense 6th-gear-everywhere 4 miles!) and found that my - 70ltr - JDM tank was indeed very empty!

attachment.php?attachmentid=170829&d=1370805922

How much??!! At least there's a quadrupal points offer on V-Power at the moment...

In other news, on my way back home there had obviously just been quite a serious accident not far from my house. I attempted to get a picture of the resultant car-flippery, but this was the best I could do:

attachment.php?attachmentid=170830&d=1370805922

You get the idea...

Hopefully everyone was ok and we're not hearing about this on the local news later...

IMG_1016.JPG

IMG_1017.JPG

IMG_1020.JPG

to be fair you must have used about 1/3 of a tank at bluewater on friday :D although that was good fun and bloomin heck, I've never seen a supra get that empty! Also good grief, is that a KA on its roof? Good effort, I hope everyones ok!

oh and that 70 litres did that include fuel in the neck, like brimming it?

Edited by thetrashcanman (see edit history)

And that's why I've never gone with a race dash :p. bet the owner of the focus had a brill day....

I think I need to get better at ACTUALLY reading the display... :rolleyes: A dial is more easy to see at a glance so I need to pay more attention, especially after giving several, uh, 'spirited' passenger rides on Friday night and then smashing a RWYB at a venue that itself is 2 hours away... :innocent:

that 70 litres did that include fuel in the neck, like brimming it?

Yes that was right to the brim. 101% according to Mr DASH2.

I think I need to get better at ACTUALLY reading the display... :rolleyes: A dial is more easy to see at a glance so I need to pay more attention, especially after giving several, uh, 'spirited' passenger rides on Friday night and then smashing a RWYB at a venue that itself is 2 hours away... :innocent:

Yes that was right to the brim. 101% according to Mr DASH2.

Hmmm interesting, suppose at least toyota where telling us the truth on fuel tank size :D and dangerousbrain, how on earth do you know its a 2ltr? But yes now I look at it a bit harder, your probably correct on it being a focus

It's after all that effort to get some fuel you realise you just loaded up on diesel :D

That would be a BAD day! :eek:

whats that one on may 10th 14.28? Having a bit of fun hey dude? ;) and what on earth is that App? Looks very handy! At showing you where all your money goes on fuel, but seriously what's it called?

Yes, I'm sure I was!

The app is called MPGCalc. Free, I think, or if not very cheap. :)

It looks like this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=170850&d=1370814486

image.jpg

Edited by DaveR (see edit history)

Wow mate! couldn't you have put a fiver's worth of 95 in just to keep her running to the next station for the vpower?

:shock: :faint: Wash your mouth out, that man!!

Oh and sorry to bother you Dave, but what was the Corbeau seats you had in your car? I found they held me in very well and surprisingly comfortable.

Corbeau Sprint XL. Full spec in my (recently updated) garage. :)

wouldnt surprise me if it was the actual pump that said 70L but gave you less, i have seen it before i went in with a 1/4 tank and it took 60L i went mad at the station saying i have a 60L tank you a stealling but they said i had to take it up with there company , which i didnt bother

wouldnt surprise me if it was the actual pump that said 70L but gave you less, i have seen it before i went in with a 1/4 tank and it took 60L i went mad at the station saying i have a 60L tank you a stealling but they said i had to take it up with there company , which i didnt bother

Interesting... I'm at least prepared to believe I was VERY low this time around anyway, but yeah I suppose you never can know exactly how much fuel is actually going in when you fill up. :rolleyes:

Cheers matey :thumbs:

No worries. :)

I remember putting 69 litres in once, but that's impressive! :D

Never again! :taped:

Nice little app that, thanks :thumbs:

Yeah, you can't really go wrong I've found. :)

There is some hidden excitement about running a car on empty and seeing if you can make it to the next stop :) Not in the Supra though ;)

NOT something I'm going to repeat!! :eek: