The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hello fellow toyota enthusiasts

Guest steed

Guest steed

Well I might be cheating a little bit but I don't technically own a supra but I have need of the expertise and knowledge form the heavy duty power figures you guys play with.

my current vehicle is a lowly '97 corolla (the frog-eyed kind) sporting a spritely 3S-GTE front wheel drive conversion, the second I have done and a lot more refined this time around. That is by the by though, i'm looking to my next project and as a result, funnily enough, have gone for something with a little more power and I have hit my dilemma as I really need a strong RWD gearbox and want to keep it in the toyota family. logically the Supra world was my next step, so here I am.

Guest steed

thanks for the welcome DaveR, your supra looks most impressive I must say, and the fact that you are still running a standard diff and gearbox is exactly why i'm hoping to glean more information from you guys. At present i',m planning on using a MKIV W58 box as they are relatively less expensive and marginally easier to find (damn build budgets).

Can someone clue me in as to whether all supra diffs have the oil cooler pump and the heat sink on the back?

Guest steed

I have no qualms about paying for membership in exchange for the wealth of knowledge and parts, when i did the first build i joined the GT4OC for the same reason.

I do have plethora of build pics so i thought i'd just put in a few of the highlights, the first few are from the original corolla which was regrettably written off after my wheel nuts stripped their threads on the m3 and my passenger wheel disappeared through the arch at 70mph (funnily enough gone with steel forged ever since!).

the 1.6 engine in its final state of tune before i abandoned it.

the replacment engine just after i collected her

then rebuilt block, including 87mm (+1.0 over bore wossner lowered compression forged pistons) and had to replace the CT26 with another one as the first one had blown seals.

then the first swap:

then it's demise:

so a year or so later i finally got another one, body wasn't in a great state (and it still isn't but i'm getting round to it)

and so work started:

And here is how she sits today:

Guest steed

yes the mk1 was great fun, its like having a go-kart but on the road! as to power, don't know i have not dnyo'd it yet as it keeps eating clutches and only now have i been able to budget in a custom triple puck ceramatellic friction plate and the extra heavy duty MR2 turbo pressure plate (it's the friction plate that cost the most!). when that swap is in she will be going to a dyno to see what she makes.