The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Getting Sup Onto Recovery Truck

Paul -C-

I've booked the car into the garage on friday and I'm gonna use my recovery breakdown service to get it there. The clutch is on it's last legs, so the car is pretty much undriveable just now, so I might as well make use of their service since I paid extra for it.

I was just thinking earlier that I might have problems getting the car onto the truck, since I've got a pretty big bumper (AbFlug). Multistory car parks cause the bumper to scrape, so it is prety low.

Anyone got any tips for getting the car onto the truck?

Use the winch on the recovery vehicle to pull the car onto the bed so you've got maximum control over the speed.

Get some bits of wood of varying sizes to place under the wheels as the car is slowly winched up.

I used to do classic car transport back in the 80's when people were paying crazy money for festering E type Jaguars that had sat rotting for the previous 10 years.

The only way to get these pieces of junk onto the lorry was slowly and carefully :) The new owners would be usually watching like a hawk, and for some ridiculous reason would be mortified if the rotten exhaust touched the bed of the recovery vehicle :( God knows why, the whole cars were only really fit for the scrap heap.

Good luck!

Originally posted by geoffvalenti

Use the winch on the recovery vehicle to pull the car onto the bed so you've got maximum control over the speed.

Get some bits of wood of varying sizes to place under the wheels as the car is slowly winched up.

I used to do classic car transport back in the 80's when people were paying crazy money for festering E type Jaguars that had sat rotting for the previous 10 years.

The only way to get these pieces of junk onto the lorry was slowly and carefully :) The new owners would be usually watching like a hawk, and for some ridiculous reason would be mortified if the rotten exhaust touched the bed of the recovery vehicle :( God knows why, the whole cars were only really fit for the scrap heap.

Good luck!

The odds on the tow eye being useable are allmost nil , mine is the only car with a modded nose that ive seen that can be towed , normally a few bits of wood and it will drive on , depends if you get a 'jobsworth' . The AA tried the old we dont do moddd cars on CJ and he then told them it doesnt say that in the conditions and they must owe him around £500 because he's allways had a modded car since he was with them , they pretty soon got something to pick the car up on .

Dude:flame Dev

Originally posted by dude

The odds on the tow eye being useable are allmost nil , mine is the only car with a modded nose that ive seen that can be towed , normally a few bits of wood and it will drive on ,

I know what you mean, its not going to be easy to hook up the winch cable without doing damage.

Just depends on how bad the clutch really is. If the car will pull itself up the ramp it'll be OK, but I wouldn't want to have to position the wooden blocks and then take a run up at it :)

Had the AA move my mates golf once and that was ridiculously low, I do mean literally touching the ground. They spent about 2 hours getting planks of wood from other drivers and diff lorries etc but the guy was amazing, didn't take any chances at all bless him.

Why would they owe Cj £500? Where does the £500 come from? Sounds like a nice blag and I want to use it lol

getting it on is easier than taking it off as the nose tends to raise as it goes up the ramp.

Coming off is where you want to be particularly careful as if they lower it down on the winch the winch line will be pulling up again the care angle going down.

I had my front lip badly cracked by the winch line as it came off a truck!

Alternatively if they have any top hoist trucks that is the perfect solution. Worth requesting if you are booking it ahead!

Originally posted by dangerous brain

Is there any reason why you cant drag it on there backwards???

Mine was so low that as soon as the back end went up, it tipped the nose onto the deck! I ended up with one of those low loader jobbies.

Originally posted by CJ

Mine was so low that as soon as the back end went up, it tipped the nose onto the deck! I ended up with one of those low loader jobbies.

Yeah but if its gonna be a normal truck and it might just go on I was thinking that reverse would probably be the best bet. Easier to get things under the front wheels from behind them than from in front, once the front wheels are on the edge of the truck they can lift the truck up.

the clutch went on mine last year and the AA came and got it, the best way to get it on was to winch it up backwards and put blocks of wood under the front. went on a treat with a doluck nosecone with only three and a half inches ground clearence, one hour after leaving the garage called me to say the AA driver has broken the front off the car taking it off the lorry.i had already signed the form to say it was cracked before he loaded it, when i phoned up up the AA to go mad they just told me it was broken before. so my advice would be to go with them.

Originally posted by CJ

Quite hard if you are sitting at a side of a motorway in the pissing rain with no tools! :p :)

Well he aint sitting on the side of a road with no tools is he ya bloody orange welsh monkey :D :D :D Kiddin aside obviously you weren't in a postion to remove the bumper but the recovery bloke should have had a basic toolkit to do the job (that said your aint just low at the front its low everywhere). The starter of this thread has the time and should have the ability to sort out having the bumper removed beforehand if its a simple nut and bolt and screw job.

The last and only time ive had to stick mine on a recovery truck was when I had the rear caliper seize up and shred the pad in no time,Ive got a lower (split)splitter and I reversed my car up onto a kerb in a local latby and drove it straight onto the back of the bed.

Originally posted by dangerous brain

Hey I said take it off as well lol. And where is CJ with some sort of come back??? I thought he would have said summat about the orange monkey comment :D :D :p :p

I would have but I have been too busy doing a bit of tongue fencing! :p :D