The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Car washing question

Ian C

One for the experts ;)

If a car is washed and then waxed, the wax behaves as a protective layer over the paint. This I understand. But is there a way of cleaning dust/pollen residue if it was left outside one night and it was rained on without having to wash and wax the damn thing again?

Washing and waxing takes hours, what's the point of the wax if you just have to scour it off again the moment a dust particle lands?

-Ian

once the wax is on like you say the car is protected and the said dust is on the wax so should easily wash off , be carefull using QDs (quick detailers) as this can sometimes mark the finish , no way around the fact it needs a wash.

by no means any need to re wax certainly not for a good 6 weeks

I use some banana flavour wax stuff, can't recall the brand but it's over and above the boggo turtle wax. I do the whole two buckets, wash mitt, liquid gold soap or something, and a magic microfibre towel that can hold a swimming pool's worth of water before it feels damp. I was taught by Hope4Sun off the GTR board, well reknown on there for his detailing work :D

I know the wax is gone when I re-wash it because you can't flick a cloth on the roof and watch it glide along, it's just stuck there.

So if I just hose a freshly-waxed car it'll get the dust/pollen crap off and still be okay? I've got a lot of flying protein in the form of insects stuck to it at the moment so it probably needs a proper wash anyway boo :( Peter I admire your optimism that I wash the car more often than every 6 weeks anyway :D

Right I think I've got this, you wash and wax once, then you don't need to reapply wax if you wash it again for a few weeks?

Hmm, so I can't just wax it once every 6 months and expect the dirt to fall off with a light cough :D

Guest Budz86

Are you claying and polishing the surface before waxing? Waxing is pretty much the last step, and if all the prep work is done well the wax should last more than one wash!

I use AG HD wax and find it lasts for about 5 or 6 washes before I notice the water isn't beading like it did.

I do our cars every 4 months or so but wash them at least once a fortnight. Decent wax and a quick wash and dry is the answer mostly.

H.

I made the move to synthetic sealants about 18 months ago, now use the full Zaino treatment.

On the Supra (until its recent respray) it had 3 layers of zaino z2 using ZFX topped with z8. Then every month I gave it another coat of z8. It's lasted around 8/9 months before the beading started to show signs of failing as z8 is only a top up of sorts really, but mine isn't a daily driver and doesn't see the elements which definitely is a contributing factor to it lasting.

But I can not fault how much dirt just doesn't want to stick to the paint :D

That sounds interesting apart from I've got no idea what you're talking about :D I like the idea of a wax product I apply in spring and it lasts all summer! Details pls ;)

Adam will even apply it for you for free..!!

Just go to JAE and leave your car hanging about long enough.