The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MOT failed

thedirtycat

Just had the supra MOTed and they said it failed on emissions and the fact it had no cats in. I said I was told that it would be fine as its a jpec L reg and he said its because he could match it up with a uk spec which shows it should have cats in or something. What should I do ?

Just had the supra MOTed and they said it failed on emissions and the fact it had no cats in. I said I was told that it would be fine as its a jpec L reg and he said its because he could match it up with a uk spec which shows it should have cats in or something. What should I do ?

Slip him an extra £20 ;) (however I'm not promoting the idea, just saying I've heard about it) could always purchase some cats.

sounds like they are matching it against a uk spec tt which would have cats and your emmissions are obvioulsy higher. Is this a new place you have taken it to? just saying they might be pushing their luck!!

sounds like they are matching it against a uk spec tt which would have cats and your emmissions are obvioulsy higher. Is this a new place you have taken it to? just saying they might be pushing their luck!!

Yea it's a new place. Jurgen had it moted when it came into the country and it passed and this is the first time I've moted it. I usually go down the road but couldn't get the supra up on the ramps.

Just spoken to Jurgen and he says it wouldn't fail because of it not having cats but on the emissions meaning I might need a new lamda sensor.

Find another garage and get a second opinion. Try one of the ones owned by a member.

Might try the one that "fast car" gets his moted at as his is the same spec as mine. Will have to find out later what exactly is wrong with the brakes but might just upgrade to uk spec brakes anyway.

The reasons I got for it failing were:

Exhaust catalytic converter missing where one was fitted as standard.

Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content after 2nd fast idle excessive

Got no results written down on my actual emissions. Do you think it might just need a new 02 sensor? Jurgen said they won't fail it for not having cats but just the emissions but it looks like that was one of the reasons for them failing it.

Guest Budz86

I was told the need for a CAT depended on age. My local MOT centre told me mine didn't need one as it was registered June 1995 iirc. Anything August 95 onwards needs one if it had one fitted ad standard.

They are wrong, they have done a CAT test which your car is exempt from, they should have done a non CAT test (which it should easily pass without any cat fitted if it's in good working order). This is taken from the Tester Manual, print it out, shove it in their face and tell them to :rtfm: :)

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/9263/picture1nq.jpg

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

They're not wrong they're quite correct.

J spec TT has a GTE engine which as far as they're concerned is same as UK spec GTE engine and the rules state quite clearly that it must pass a cat test.

N/A's have a GE engine which only comes in grey import so not on the UK database and only needs to pass a no cat test.

You bought it with a bent ticket mate.

Edited by David P (see edit history)

Guest Budz86

But also as far as they are concerned the jspec and UK models were setup differently and had different additional hardware, such as turbos.

Also, iirc Toyota claimed both versions had different power outputs, meaning they aren't comparable models.

It's done on chassis number too. DVLA/VOSA will only have emissions related data on UK cars.

As afore mentioned, UK's have different turbo's, an EGR system and 550cc injectors, not 440's like the J-Spec.

Also, if he's failed it on "catalytic converter where one was fitted as standard..." - Prove it. It's an import. Just like if it doesn't permit a normal, UK style plate, it can get away with a smaller plate.

Imports = No cat test.

Spoke to the guy that Moted it and he said he put the engine and chassis number in and it came up with an exact match to a uk spec so it meant they had to fail it on having no cats and obviously the emissions were too high because of this.

He said to ring vosa and that maybe they had made a mistake.

Also the brake thing apparently was just a hose that needs adjusting which they can do for free.